Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pupper_donut

Two Rivers - An Interactive Cities: Skylines PD

29 posts in this topic

Background:

This is my first time in close to a year that I've played C:S even semi-naturally. I'm using unlock all, but am not using any demand mods, or unlimited money. This is built using the CO (Colossal Order) Two Rivers map that comes built into the game. I am using realistic population & consumption, as well as Traffic++ and Network Extensions Project, in addition to mods to balance out death care & garbage. Keep in mind that there will be no fancy story lines or anything of that nature. Just progress on the city's growth and major issues.

How It Works:

The Simmania community will have a major influence in the planning and design of the city. Important issues facing the city will be posted here, and you will get to vote on them. Obviously, the decision with the most votes is what goes through. While I'll be handling micromanagement and other minor details, the fate of the city is entirely up to you.

First Post: Rockwood County

A group of 135 settlers received a charter to found the settlement of Two Rivers in uninhabited Rockwood County. A narrow 8-mile long blacktop road connects the settlement to the main highway (off-map). The settlement was founded next to the site were oil was discovered. The town's primary economic driving factor is Rockwood Oil Company.

1.jpg

Birds-Eye view

2.jpg

View down Main Street.

3.jpg

Rockwood Oil Company.

The first issue will come shortly. Whether the fledgling settlement will flourish or flouder, we will find out.

Josh,

thanks for this first post on your CS , CJ

I look forward to contributing with the planning when your ready for that phase..

Brian

Thank you brian and Aldini.

The Issue: Rockwood Oil Expansion

In just a few months, Two Rivers has nearly tripled in population, primarily because of the discovery of additional viable oil drilling locations throughout the county. As the town grows at an unprecedented rate, so is the driving force behind this growth: Rockwood Oil Company.

The company has discovered another viable oil drilling site in the woods near Rockwood Lake, a prospect that would open up opportunities for growth across the entire county. At the same time, the company wishes to expand its hold on the area immediately east of Two Rivers, which as of right now is only home to a few pumps and a small refinery. While either option would certainly bring further growth to the county, both come at a price: the Rockwood Lake project would keep truck traffic and pollution out of the village, while ruining part of the shorelines and spoiling scenic views, as well as potentially polluting the pristine lake. The expansion project would preserve the natural beauty of the area, but increase pollution and increase truck traffic within the village.

A solution, proposed by Rockwood Oil Company themselves, was a bypass route that loops around the village. This would not only keep noise levels down within the village but improve access for the truckers themselves. Should the relocation project by the lakeside be approved, in addition to the truck bypass, three other routes would be constructed to access the new oil drilling and refining site.

Birds Eye & Map:

1.jpg

2.jpg

As we know, such a major expansion of the fledgling company would require a large amount of workers, which the village simply does not have at the time. While a major expansion next to the town has already been approved, a new proposed residential area at the intersection of the truck bypass and the unnamed main road is currently up for vote. This would provide convenient housing for oil workers located between the two drilling sites, but traffic noise would be a problem with the steady stream of trucks through the area. Another problem is commercial zoning. While two small expansion areas have been approved, the city is looking to redevelop riverfront housing to make more room for commercial developers, a need which will undoubtedly make itself heard as more residents begin piling into the city.

The Choices:

Option A: Expand Rockwood Oil but cancel the relocation site as well as the proposed residential site. Riverfront housing would remain. Construct the proposed truck bypass.

Option B: Do not expand Rockwood Oil further but approve the relocation site and proposed residential sites. Riverfront housing would remain but the pre-approved expansion areas for commercial will not be enough. The truck bypass would not be necessary.

Option C: Go through with all plans exactly as charted. The proposed residential site would be built, as well as the truck bypass, riverfront redevelopment, and Rockwood Oil expansion. This is necessary for optimal city growth.

Option D: Approve the relocation site but not the proposed residential site. Existing Rockwood Oil will not be expanded. Riverfront redevelopment would not take place. The truck bypass would not be necessary.

Option E: Approve the Rockwood Oil expansion but not the proposed relocation site, and approve the proposed residential and the truck bypass, as well as riverfront redevelopment.

Please cast your vote for options A, B, C, D, or E in a reply below!

Here's an aerial of the town. The houses to the left would be the ones redeveloped.

3.jpg

Josh,

as option A,

would seem to be the 1 option which best preserves a landscaping aspects of both the coastline + the Lakeside, this will be the option that i will chose on this occasion ..

Brian

Cool fancy storyline. I go with Option E, the riverfront will be utilized later on anyway so why not just use it now.

Nice idea for a cj, a good change from a barrage of pictures and stories. My question is do we have to select specific options (a,b,or c) or may we suggest different combos not included (like say I agree with everything in E except the riverfront redevelopment), and contribute our own ideas as well?

For now Ill choose E. If we CAN do what I asked, I'd suggest the truck route be shifted around the new residential development, using part of the relocation route, to make those new oil workers feel more welcome in the town, taking the interest of not running a truck route through their streets. It would be wise to pre-preemptivly solve the noise problem. 

You're able to suggest whatever you'd like, whether that be modified versions of the five options or your own different ideas, which means yours are taken into account :)

No issues in this update, just some pictures taken at sunset.

Thanks everyone for voting in the first issue. Option E was near-unanimously approved, and is slowly being implemented. City finances have taken a hit but are steadily recovering.

1.jpg

An expanding Rockwood Oil Company.

2.jpg

The new residential area, near the truck bypass.

3.jpg

The sun sets over Rockwood Oil and Two Rivers.

4.jpg

Sunset over Rockwood County.

fantastic sunset pics here josh..

this is the first time i have seen these kinda pics in CS

They are most impressive indeed and thanks for sharing them with us

Beautiful sunset shots! I like the first one, the way the shadows come off the tress. :)

Sunsets are part of a recent expansion? They look very realistic and the city backdrop behind the sunset is very cool looking indeed.

Thank you all for the comments. Darv: they were part of an update that came shortly after After Dark was released.

The Issue: Power Upgrades

Two Rivers is currently powered by a series of seven wind turbines at various points outside of the village. Up until now, these wind turbines have been sufficient in managing electricity needs of the city. However, with recent expansion, the city is faced with a dilemma.

The city is able to generate far more electricity through a single coal-fired power plant than seven wind turbines, for the same price. The choice would be clear, except coal power plants generate a lot of noise and pollution. Also, since suitable mining areas have not been found within the county as of yet, materials would have to be imported into the village at a high cost, generating additional truck traffic and pollution.

Location of the wind turbines currently:

1.jpg

Option A: Build the coal power plant in the position shown, and remove all wind turbines. This would place it away from residential areas but make the surrounding woods unavailable for future development, in addition this would hurt local foliage and wildlife:

2.jpg

Option B: Add additional wind turbines, regardless of the cost. Clean energy is important to Rockwood County's future.

Option C: Build the coal power plant, but reduce its funding by one half and leave the existing wind turbines in place.

As always feel free to add your own suggestions.

As always, here's a birds eye view of the village:

3.jpg

Josh ,

I like the way 2 rivers is coming along..

I like Aldini's idea that a variety of power sources is best..

So I will also choose option C

Why a coal plant if you have a massive supply of oil that you don't need to import fuel for if you build an oil plant?

I say c. No reason to destroy windmills simply providing more power.

I pick option B, it makes the most sense to me because in real life anyway, coal grows more expensive over time while wind grows cheaper over time.