Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aldini10

The Dynamic City of Adlain

44 posts in this topic

My ambitious attempt to build an express/collector highway system with basketweaves does not look like it will come into fruition for another long while. It seems that the downtown spur will not require collectors, but rather braided ramps to link up the surface streets since the interchanges are somewhat close to each other. However, braided ramps won't happen for a long time either.

bH73TS1.png

Here I've constructed a much needed eastbound off ramp on the freeway bypassing downtown to the south. Notice the large amount of empty space between the ramp intersection and the freeway itself; this is to allow the construction of a future direct connector ramp connecting the interchange in the background to the main freeway.

2xBgczz.png

The downtown spur and a brand new incomplete freeway interchange.

SYTbn2T.png

c2jOwZd.png

Here is an image depicting my future braided ramps plans.Notice the mess on the top left, where 3 interchanges are within close quarters of each other. Due to the T interchange being very close to the existing avenue, a half diamond will be constructed instead of a full diamond. I know this map is a bit sloppy, I just drew it up in Paint. :P This is not a final plan, it will be subject to tweaking based on traffic needs.

The freeway where the spur ends on the top left will also employ this system of braided ramps as the proposed freeway interchanges will be as close, if not closer to each other and make this task increasingly difficult.

This system of braided ramps will only be implemented as soon as traffic congestion becomes too much for the existing freeway to handle. An express/collector system did sound like a cool idea to build at first, and it may as well be easier, but this version seems to be the most practical.

Aldini,

some great highway developments

Certainly a nice collection of 4 pics here showing your learning curve with CS highways..

And also some future highway plans that will be quite ambitious..are elaborated on..

I look forward to many great future updates as you continue to improve in this

area that interests us all !

Brian

PAINT?!?!!

nah jk, I love this style of update that it shows us what you are planning on doing, with you then explaining it. :) I can't wait to see. :D

Thank you all for your comments!

This time around I've been working on the highway cutting across the city diagonally and developing around it, as there was nothing there before.

5Awqh8X.png

You can see from this image that I had already began to develop the land crossing this road as it was an avenue before. I've set up 2 industrial zones adjacent to the road. I quickly realized this would prove to be a massive challenge as trucks are very difficult to tame in C:S.

FGkArdo.png

Here you can see the advancing traffic problems created just by zoning the industry.

qdsJPse.png

A look at the traffic view shows that it's very congested. As this problem was not foreseen by me and traffic was becoming gridlocked I had to perform an emergency freeway upgrade. As you can see these 2 avenues are within considerably close distances with there being a future free flowing T interchange just north of this area, it would prove to be one of my most ambitious project to date.

afw0pIA.png

I began the project first with the demolishing of the old avenue and rebuilding the standard highway in its place.

FiG3U3G.png

Here as you can see I have constructed a set of braided ramps within close quarters of the road. These braided ramps proved to be the most difficult to build due to their proximity to the T interchange linking the downtown spur with this highway. These ramps provide exits/entrances from the main freeway to the first avenue just south of the T interchange. Below the braided ramps are slip lanes, so this interchange acts more closely as a basketweave. I just realized as I was posting this that I don't have any pictures of the progress made during the build as I was focusing too intensely on getting the project finished before 5 AM :P

K4fheQR.png

Here you can see how close the avenues actually are as my standard of freeway on/off ramps was just about limited to this space. Make no mistake, traffic most certainly does use this setup to its limits. All ramps in this project have been, at one point in time, completely jammed due to the industrial districts and its need for cargo/delivery trucks.

I made an Imgur album where I dumped the rest of my screenshots. http://imgur.com/gallery/E73CS

This emergency build has proved to be the right thing to do and is my favorite freeway setup I've completed so far in the C:S world.

i think you did well with your most ambitious highway/ road construction project project to date..

i really love the braided ramps.. they first introduced to us in Josh's seminar..

You did fantastic with this difficult and complex upgrade to your road/ highway network set here..

Hopefully this will provide smooth transit as the community develops further in density in the future..

Dont worry, you will also improve in transit pre- planning as you gain more experience playing CS ...

i would like to request a post congestion view pic to see what effects your new improvements had on the traffic situation here ?

Thanks brian, @god_donut's seminar did help me realize that braided ramps were a solution to this problem as I was originally going to combat this issue using frontage roads.

Here is a post project traffic view for you.

NzwqzWJ.png

The traffic report tool gives me a reading of about 370 vehicles using this corridor on any given moment. As you can see the main freeway congestion is totally gone as a vast amount of traffic is exiting in this area. The only existing major congestion is on the streets.

Aldini,

Outstanding traffic engineer analysis you have accomplished here.. and so now here is the "evidence of your efforts":..

in the form of the freeway aiding with traffic congestion greatly.. So from this point forwards your new freeway will be able accommodate a great deal more traffic with its high traffic capacity. And you can now go ahead and build more densely in this area, if that is what you chose to do ..

I am really enjoying the idea that both you and Josh are starting to enjoy the traffic aspects of CS so much my friend :)

Thank you guys, and @bben I've always been interested in traffic and transportation, I find it fascinating actually.

This update is a special one as I have finally reached the 100k citizen mark!

YBUTjSp.png

This is a shot of my downtown area. I still hope to expand the city to the limits of the game or until my computer crashes!

One large project I've mentioned before was relocating all of my industry to a more inner city location so that perhaps local businesses will receive goods faster. This is part of the reason for my large highway project.

r9VkZzu.png

It's a shame to see the large development which used to be here disappear, and I sometimes wonder if it was a good choice to destroy the freeway interchange which existed in this area but another can be built. As you can see this area is now empty, all that is left are the train tracks and the main power plant which provides 95% of power for the entire city. This plant will be decommissioned and another built in its place across the city.

qOxA6pD.png

jj9KPby.png

These images show the industry zones and traffic impact of the highway. I still plan to zone a lot of industry along this entire stretch of highway which should force me to construct another basketweave interchange just before the T interchange on the right side of the image. A further reason to construct this will be the large amount of traffic using the northbound lanes from the T interchange to the center of the image, as indicated in the shot. In the center you can see I've constructed a brand new interchange to handle traffic.

8GSU5EB.png

I'm not sure what kind of interchange this is, perhaps a folded Parclo? Please let me know! :P Anyway as you can see I took advantage of this setup as there are 2 intersections, each right across the freeway from each other. Building a diamond interchange (in the same fashion as my other interchanges) in this area would have been disastrous as instead of 2 traffic lights there would be 4, greatly reducing the amount of traffic passing through. This way the avenue passing under the highway has a large amount of space for traffic to travel before hitting another traffic signal on the other side. Also, both interchanges are formed to continue as an avenue.

VWFntLF.png

Here's a current view of the freeway within the dynamic city. Thanks for looking!

wow, so much to this update..

Aldini, you are really putting an increasing amount of thought into how your city is developing..

Sorry i am quite poor with names of the various interchange types..but i will say that what you have done so far

with your highway development in this city seems to be right on the mark .

Keep your frequent updates coming.. There a joy to look at !.

Unfortunately I have to say that I will not be continuing this city as it has fallen victim to a large amount of issues that will not let it load anymore. :( Thanks for all of your comments on this city throughout the time it's been active!

@Darvince This city was perhaps only at the halfway mark of any limit; it was most likely a conflict which was dormant since the last update and finally manifested itself as an error with a mod. In any case, this city slowed down my computer quite a bit so even then it wouldn't have taken long for it to not load thanks to it's computing worth.

Aldini,

I understand fully what situation you faced really.

In the early days when i had slow pc's I had much the same issues in sc4 with large cities and the lag took away much of the enjoyment of course of playing.

Hopefully upon starting up a new city, you are now aware of the game + pc limitations you face and you would be able to find a balance of game play that you still enjoy my friend..