Sign in to follow this  
Aldini10

Aldini's C:S Works

So with the departure of my other city thread I'll just be posting certain works on other cities I'm working on. I am only working on one city at the moment but that number will rise as I find suitable maps to build on.

xkjmyll.png

This is the town of Katakonia. I am currently working on re positioning the freeway, which is actually a larger project than I envisioned.

Mgs300O.png

Here is the original freeway positioning. I'd much rather have it built in such a way that it lines up with the roads so it is not awkward to construct future service interchanges. Notice how it very prominently cuts across the town. I have created an imgur album which shows the construction of this new freeway and how traffic was redirected during, which is something that I had never done before in-game.

http://imgur.com/a/FQtui Here is the album, thanks for looking!

Very nice, I'm liking the layout so far.. C:S allows you so much freedom :D

Edit: The album looks great, too.  I'll have to catch you in chat so we can talk about the terrain raise and lower lots - I can't figure them out. :P

I'm bach bbys, with another update!

I zoomed into a fire situation in the downtown area and noticed that traffic redirects itself once firefighters stop to work. Here traffic does a u turn to prevent getting in the way of the fire trucks. This redirection of traffic only occurs on avenues as small streets are too narrow for traffic to do this, so vehicles back up until the job is done.

i4DlTGh.png

This traffic reroute impacted traffic somewhat badly, since this is a small town of 12k backups are very uncommon.

pNNhF2Y.png

WiqaVTd.png

Here is a satellite view of the town as it is at the moment. You can see where I am planning out future avenues and such, the downtown area is as dead as my hometown's too. Not all is lost though! I am planning some major projects that will make this city look alive.

gNaWfQn.png

One such project is a dig to take this railroad underneath the major streets downtown, since traffic is usually disrupted for long periods of time while trains come by. Other times trains have to wait for vehicles to remove themselves from the tracks! This is still being discussed by city planners and a study will be launched soon in order to complete the project before it becomes a much larger problem in the future.

Thank you all for your enlightening comments! I'm back for a quick update.

I got tired of working on one side of the river so I opened development opportunities across the way.

cPoMS9I.png

KhWb3Ry.png

You can see certain changes I've made to the road layout to connect this area to the city as best I could. The longest bridge (in the center) is 944 meters long, so I increased speeds on it from 50 to 80km/h to allow a quicker journey.

y4MqiBx.png

I want this avenue running along with the river to be a Lake Shore Drive type of road. You can see how the bridges fly over this road, however, road connectivity to the freeway, downtown, and bridges is still excellent. Downtown is the undeveloped area on the bottom of the image. :( I have high hopes for it's future, though. :) Thanks for looking.

The city is really starting to come into form and sprawl out a little.  I wonder, how is the traffic?  Have you planned any mass transit?

7 minutes ago, Nilo7 said:

The city is really starting to come into form and sprawl out a little.  I wonder, how is the traffic?  Have you planned any mass transit?

The traffic data view shows a lot of red areas, however, there is no congestion at all. I've removed all traffic signals and it has actually improved this situation, even without Advanced AI enabled. I have absolutely no mass transit available for this town at the time, but because I plan to turn this into a sprawling metropolis, there will be MT available in the future without a doubt. :)

Here's another Katakonia update, the city is spreading somewhat slowly but thoroughly.

avpjl5t.png

Current overhead view.  As you can see I've developed more of the downtown grid area and a few other spots. Let's get close up and see what's new around town!

O3719sd.png

First, I arranged a zoning deal which allowed several large superstores to finally develop in the town. Citizens cheerfully supported this plan as it appears they had to prepare a very long drive to the next town for many items that other local stores just could not supply. The first suburban style apartment complex has opened adjacent to this complex, which I hope will allow for many more of these projects to planned in the future.

uLJFAkJ.png

The downtown area has also seen a large amount of developments lately, mostly in the city's new central district code standards which were approved some years ago. This area needs some revitalization, as the city appears to end abruptly, which causes the citizens to become alarmed. This area will be aggressively worked and focused on promptly due to the words of the citizens.

4Jkdz1h.png

This 6 block area has been looking much nicer now with the incorporation of several desirable parks and plazas, the first large capacity city wide hospital, and a collection of educational facilities. The hospital is currently the tallest structure in town, reaching 86.5 meters tall. The educational facilities include a university building which holds classrooms for preliminary studies, a STEM research building, and a large library which has been nationally acclaimed, all of which are free to the citizens of Katakonia.

9Js9jfV.png

A bit farther down this barren avenue we see the addition of a large police headquarters building. I know a city of only 15,000 people doesn't really require such a thing, but order is to be kept. This HQ services the entire downtown area, where large developments are predicted to emerge in a grand fashion.

mSbNMYw.png

I know a huge number of ambitious plans have been made with this report, but here comes another one! This large tract of land has been annexed by the university facility downtown for use as a proper university center. No concrete plans or schedules have been processed so far but this is most definitely great news for the city. Apparently the university president hopes to have the entire center complete by 2110 (Currently 2088), which I don't doubt since he managed to get 3 large community centers to be built and praised within 6 years. Being adjacent to the freeway is also a large plus, since it would allow direct access to the complex.

With the introduction of all these things, I'd like to thank you for reading. Next update will include not only finished work, but very serious and possible tensions between city officials and the residents.

Thanks everyone.

Here's a new city I'm working on, which is heavily based on Wichita Falls, TX.

K4ppdL0.png

My first attempt at a train yard/depot.

c1gWFb9.png

School for grades K-12 and a few other plazas surrounding it to make it look nice.

Fn7g2Rv.png

A plaza in the downtown area taking up a whole block. I anticipate land value in this area will continue to rise and will ultimately become a true downtown district, complete with skyscrapers and other such downtowny type things.

CgfrcAV.png

Here's a view of the city (before I built the train depot). I love growing cities organically so this will be a large project, like the others. I really hope this one doesn't have such a problem like my other failed cities. This one does not seem to have any issues like the rest of them so I think this one will be it!

As you can see there is not a major highway ripping through the city, I plan on having a mega highway construction project later in the city's history to make it work like the Interstate projects which divided cities in such a grand way.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments everyone!

I've been playing this city a lot more then the rest but I haven't posted an update in a while. I've created yet another screenshot dump on imgur.

http://imgur.com/a/nLmU1

Aside from that, traffic is becoming more of a burden, but to add some realism I will leave it alone for about 40 more years while I create the grand highway plan in the meantime.

ECleBpH.png

Current traffic view.

Thanks for looking!