Sign in to follow this  
Aldini10

Aldini's C:S Works

I'm bach again with a major update. This time I grew impatient and began construction of the massive slabs of concrete we call interstate freeways. However, I began building the freeways in the year 1954 and it is now 1962, without ever opening a single lane.

s7eL5bT.png

No doubt this has caused grief and anger upon the citizens of the city, especially since they were planned in true Robert Moses style: straight through happy and vivid neighborhoods. The highway seen above was mostly completed, with all inner city freeway work being finished on the main lanes. Note there are no exits or entrances, as it was originally built to allow thru traffic.

There were supposed to be 2 freeways constructed cutting through the city. Only one has been built, thanks to the intense protests and aggressive justifications by citizens who live in the areas that were meant to be destroyed. As a result, a half constructed freeway was built terminating just outside of the city.

hxsg01V.png

2 homes were taken but it was a win for the citizens. This freeway was supposed to contain a number of inner city interchanges, however, the citizens feared officials would change their minds and just build it as a thru freeway like the other one. Lanes on this freeway will open in the coming months when asphalt paving is finished.

More pictures and other city happenings are included in this image dump: http://imgur.com/a/5JcFR

Thanks for looking!

Great to see this freeway systems really taking off now my friend..

In the extra pics you shared, the big highlight for me was the sunken train station, WOW man..

Nice job on that 1...

Brian

I forgot to answer your question from the last update, sorry about that.

On 9/4/2016 at 5:15 PM, pupper_donut said:

Do your plans call for a widely separated highway through the center like in the city you're basing this on?

Yes! I thought I'd split the highways and have them go separate ways, since it's not what you usually see in a city. I may have new developments on that one soon ;)

@Towncrafter I intend to finish both freeways against the citizen's wishes. Remember, this is the an interstate project, the government doesn't care. The agenda must be met.

It has been 10+ years since the last game update (now 2074). Here's something that will fill you all in for a while:

TgsJxal.png

This downtown train station has increased the land value in its immediate area tremendously, resulting in a number of towering office buildings and typical downtown style happenings. The result being now that this station's usage has increased by 3 times the amount it was hosting before the projects enclosed the unit. I am very pleased with this statistic.

Traffic has finally been granted access to the decaying express freeway, or at least that's how it started out.

6CLprrT.png

In this image you can see that the freeway is no longer an express route, ramps and interchanges have been added in phases from the opening of the freeway (2063) to the latest, which was completed in 2072. This is the result of a number of complaints from citizens, with their convincing reasons being that they live in the city and the slabs savagely cuts straight through it. Why aren't they allowed to use the freeway? Well, the logic of the city officials was terrible anyway for only allowing outside traffic to use the route. They got to work on designing a highly efficient ramp system to allow citizens the right to use this new high speed route, consisting of a number of weaving ramps and frontage roads. Train tracks were lowered to accommodate this issue since DOT workers envisioned a grand project such as this one. It was eventually converted into a tunnel, which recreated more land for the city to develop.

AMIveUk.png

I know you're getting tired of reading this like it's the neverending story. Here are a few more images: http://imgur.com/a/ep6jl

The entire freeway project is only about 1/4 finished, and a few ramps will have to be reconfigured in the future when highway usage reaches severe levels of service. Thanks for looking!

Hey thanks guys. I've been away for a while since things became busy, but I've returned with a quick new batch of pictures just showing off some areas around the city. Not much new major work has been done so far but I am in the planning stages of something which I am confident you will all be pleased with. :)

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZUkfT

Just an amazing stack interchange here, Aldini , wow !!

I have been dying to see one of these for a long time now..

Also i just loved the look of the sunken highway you had there also...

Lovely highways presentation you have over there, my friend !!

thanks, Brian

New city, this one I've set up as already having a freeway through it. The ramps are set up for future growth so I just have to upgrade them instead of re-configuring the highway.

xDHA1y0.png

It's difficult to see, but the terrain is not completely flat. It varies by up to 14 meters around downtown.

6dIhuKF.png

It's been heavily influenced by Seattle and San Francisco in some areas, although I only plan for this influence to be limited downtown.

hnW1dzQ.png

Overhead view. I plan to install the Alaskan Way Viaduct/Embarcadero at the waterline later.

A few more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/uRvI3

Thanks for looking!

It's been some time now, so once again an update is needed.

nGcq3zZ.png

The city has developed quite a bit. I constructed a new freeway following the river for local traffic traveling to the industrial and office sections.

55bYcGV.png

Residential area interchange.

I'm really happy that citizens are using this expressway. Not a lot can use it since it's on the edge of the city but I anticipate more traffic once the city sprawls farther out.

E3eHGgR.png

Office area feeder ramps

4IiCFaP.png

Industrial district.

ejLrKHu.png

Latest aerial view. I'm planning on rezoning the lots on the right adjacent to the river since homes won't build there for some reason. It looks like a good area for another industrial district. What do you think? Thanks for looking!

Aldini,

I really like the look of your freeways. They look interesting and quite unique .

I hope they hold up functionally as good as they look !

Nice update here, and please keep more of them coming in quick !..

Small one today, I'm glad to update you with this traffic report on the local expressway.

j3YzqYq.png

As you can see, it brings most residents to their jobs and back home. This is the highest amount of vehicles on the freeway so far, and checking it now the morning commute doesn't dip below 60 vehicles/hr from 5-11 am. It's usually a very steady stream of 80 vehicles per hour at those times. An increase in residential zoning within the next few years will really help to bring more attention to this roadway. This is only eastbound, but I imagine the numbers must be similar westbound for the evening rush hour.

Aldini,

thanks much for your new update !

I just have one short question ..

is the graph you posted more like the Volume view we have in SC 4 , or is this more a traffic congestion view here ?

i think you recall the difference between the 2 graphs in sc4..

thanks for your reply !

brian