Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Great (not so great) City of Charleston

56 posts in this topic

Chapter 1: Old Boots, New dirt

Well hello and welcome to Charleston, this newly founded town is just starting to get its roots along the Black Water River! 

4FILogo.jpg 

Now as with any town there are certain necessities, water, sewer and power. Mayor 7499275 had to really pull some strings on the county level to allow dumping sewage directly into the Black Water. The river actually runs into a protected National Forest Further down stream so typically dumping raw sewage into it would be a big no no. However 7499 was able to pull some strings with some good ol American green. (No I don't mean that green ;) )

Once the utilities are up and running we began building our first new houses. 

gtwigDb.jpg

The first few houses proved to be no problem from the local Government. Although the contractors were complaining about not having enough water. Who needs water when you're right beside the river! Am I right? I mean come on now, go skinny dipping, live a little. I mean who knows, maybe one of those people moving in is a nice tall 21 year old blonde :modernwinky:

Once we had a handful of people moved in (and maybe two handfuls of those blondes I was talking about) we realized they had no jobs unless they wanted to commute over an hour! Now, no one, I mean no one likes that unless your job pays you for your gas. 

3TQ8ITC.jpg

The next challenge to us was the fact no large manufacturing plants wanted to move into a town where they had to pay out the backdoor just to haul the goods to be sold. So after throwing in a few tax breaks and other incentives those manufacturers agreed to begin building in Charleston providing jobs for the locals. Now this is great news and all right? Well you would assume so, a growing economy is a healthy economy until one manufacturer decides to go rouge.  More on that later, stay tuned! 

TEASER!!

The next major challenge is connecting two major highways to allow for goods to be easily transported out of the city which was part of the incintives agreement to get the companies to move in. Only one problem, remember that rouge company I mentioned earlier? Yeah they don't like this idea. 

ayuQTtD.jpg

Chapter 2: Expanding near the river

Finally zoning out closer to the river to make room for new residents. 

ci1G8A7.jpg

Some of the new residents requested we put up a little flood wall along the main road, route 32 as we continued expanding the road. The river has been known to leave its banks during times of heavy rains. 

EmJskar.jpg 

Now some of our new residents are protesting for us to remove this big ol ugly powerlines. The board is considering but until we find a new way to run power across the town that won't break the bank they have to stay. We have settled the protests down a little bit by adding parks, who doesn't love going to the park and packing a bowl and watching all the beautiful blondes? 

AyuqMN3.jpg

But now onto a bit more of a serious issue guys. What would you all do here to help traffic without putting in a roundabout cause they are just way too big. Unless I custom build one.

v6ZnXH3.jpg 

wow Rocky , sorry I missed chapter 1 , some how..

But this is a super start to this CJ here,,Love it a lot so far man..

I will leave it for Josh to come up with something for  that bit of traffic congestion you have going on there...

But lets keep this going strong okay ?

Brian.

Chapter 3: Highways

So in the last update you guys may have seen I had some traffic issues with my highways. Here is the first solution I came up with which didn't really help too much. Now as you can see I actually ran the ramps underground to keep room for building later on. I really like this method personally.

p6h5N9N.jpg

The problem with this though was traffic was still backing up on the ramps, (lower left hand side) the one out of sigh. So to fix this issue..

QuzP2gB.jpg

I ran a ramp, off of a ramp up by the bridges and brought it back down into the fourlane just this side of the west bound bridge. All of these new ramps rendered the ramp on the far right hand side coming across both highway lanes before the bridge uselss. So... The final design I came up with for this high way is...

ga9jmVC.jpg 

Now with all these new ramps and connecting two major highways allowing more traffic to flow into the city the RCI demand went sky high as you can see above. Which led to a boom in construction in the southern edge of the city limits.

NSImXN4.jpg

So with all this new construction and demand booming the city board decided to go ahead and prepare the river banks to be built upon soon by building some quays and prepairing for removal of the water pumps and sewage drains to be moved to a new location farther away from the city. 

x9cOVOw.jpg 

Chapter 4: Bring on the high rises

So now that we have the two major highways connected and allowing a flow of people from both the East and North and South, the demand for all has shot up considerably. You may be asking yourself, "Where does the board plan to zone for all these new business and residents?" 

Excellent question! 

yHJTopi.jpg 

Earlier we prepaired for zoning along the river banks for a day just like today! Relocating the pumps and windmills along wit the sewage pumps to the other side of the river and constructing a quay. The bridge will allow for further expansion onto the other side later on which will again require relocating of the utilities. 

Now after having more pissed off sims sitting in long traffic jams, we've managed to make some sollutions (thank you Josh for the mod recommendation and what not) 

ZHCMMvO.jpg

However it does still need some fine tuning to ease the traffic a little bit better. Maybe more wrap arounds to get people from point A to point B without going through downtown. 

And I will just leave this here as a final pic for y'all 

3AdS1XS.jpg

Well i like the idea of building the under ground ramps also..

But really appreciated Josh coming to the rescue for you with advice re: the traffic congestion and mods..

Now some of this depends upon what your own perspective of course is to what levels of congestion constitute issues, or ie; traffic jams..

Each of us has our own definitions for that really.

Otherwise, You did a nice job with the pics and discussing the diversified aspects of the city your working on so far Rocky..

Chapter 6: Massive expansion means Massive Traffic

So now that the bridge across the river has been built we are gonna begin expanding the town across the river. 

oCwtWXf.jpg 

Instead of relocating the utilties they are gonna stay there untill more land further downstream has become avaliable. 

Now that we have even more expansion the traffic in this city is becoming even more of a nightmare to try and manage. 

TjQpglr.jpg 

However it does look really good in my opinion

G6bxykM.jpg 

cfvYk2i.jpg 

Fast growing city, my friend. The traffic is backing up on the freeway because you've only given traffic one ramp to exit from. You'll need to construct more ramps around the denser areas. However, if this traffic is just all those cims driving home from a massive area you just zoned residential, just waiting for traffic to un-swell will be fine.

Chapter 7: Re-Forestation

So now that we have some of the traffic under control (kinda not really... Need an excuse to keep building...) We have begun the expansion of the new area on the western side of the highway. My uncle once said, "A good city is not grown, it is built." Meaning that a well laid out area can do wonders for eye candy and functionality. So now I bid you the new area, where heavy tree cover and ped paths take shape right along side of some nice looking curves.

5RrZAfJ.jpg

vdsIsVa.jpg

aVtV6vZ.jpg

And what would a great residential/commercial expansion be with out expanding our dirty dirty industry region with a new rail line? 

W0K2BAp.jpg 

Rocky,

First sorry that I missed the prior update on traffic.

So I will start my comments with that update to your CJ..

I am wondering if the city is ready for some mass transit options now ?

Which you also mention in the recent update as well with the new rail line...

I am hoping that CS works similar to SC 4 in that if you put down some effective mass transit infrastructure that this will in fact also reduce some of the traffic congestion you have going on with some of your roads and highways. But as i mentioned earlier in a posting, since I have never played CS, of course I am unsure how that works exactly..

In your most recent update it is great to see you still expanding the city out even further. Although as mentioned you may have to still address some of the lingering traffic issues before you proceed with any further big time expansions..

Yeah actually I didn't grab any pictures of it yet but in the last update I started running 2 buss lines in that new area I just put in. If I can see an improvement in traffic and get a decent amount of people using the lines I'll run bus and possibly subway throughout the rest of the city. 

Chapter 8: On the water

So after adding new public transport to ease some of the hell on the roadways we have decided to actually remove all the sewage drain pipes! All of them! Instead using sewage treatment plants to treat the sewage before dumping into the river. Why? Because we are going to start bringing in tourists upstream! Now We have an entirely new road network laid out with new highway ramps. 

TZMs2J0.jpg

stNP6hu.jpg

Rocky , love the idea to the sewage plants over the pipe network ..

also I am hoping that the new road network  + the new highway ramps you have built help solve the

traffic issues you have been having my friend..

Rocky, im going to leave another comment later after I watch this..

But this is a nice idea, and I look forward to seeing what disasters look like in City skylines..

I have always wanted to see these !

Rocky,

Here is my  fuller comments for your disaster tutorial video you created for all of us

I really liked your tutorial here on city skylines disasters..

The game seems to have a diversified set up of disasters + also the things u can do and ways you can prevent them.,

has been done quite well for the game..

But it also it was nice to see a full description of what your cities look like, and what your current situation with the city is,

and than finally what your plans are for it..

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0