Bryan1998

gw
Game Weekend Idea - SC4 CO-OP

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a good idea of a game weekend activity: SC4 CO-OP.

Here's how it works:  Somehow give me your Google name or email (either through chat whispers or PM) so i can add you to my SimCity 4 Drive folder.  Assuming you have Google Drive installed on your PC, change your user directory to the folder which i shared with you.

Rules:  This is a large region, so there's plenty of space here.  Each player gets a cluster.  You can have up to 9 city tiles in your cluster (i may increase this in the future seeing as this is such a large region).  One cluster per player.  To prevent save errors and rollbacks, do not open up anyone else's city.  There should be at least one city tile between your cluster and another player's cluster to prevent rollbacks.  You can either have your city cluster isolated or you can have them connected to to each other through the one tile space.  If you want to have them connected, I'll be the one to connect them, initially using RHW-6S for the connection.

Let's see how this pans out.

I'd be down for that, but you'd either need a list of required mods or a central mods folder that each player downloads for their game save to ensure compatibility across the board, I do have a question though, how would you relegate turns, because as far as I understand it multiple instances of sc4 can't play the same region save at the same time without errors... but it's been a while for me so that could have changed.

SpookyZalost: The central folder is on Google Drive, mods and the region are included.  I also used to cluster concept to prevent save errors, since a city tile saves each tile next to it.  So if a player has a cluster of 6 tiles, then another cluster could be a tile away. Connecting the clusters for regional demand and such could be an option, given you reload the tile every 15-30 minutes just to keep demand sort of in sync.  If you feel you need to add a mod, go ahead.  You can put it in the ZZZZZ_PLAYERMODS folder.

huh, I'm still not sure how it would work, I'd have to see it working, and the only time multi-player really sorta worked was way back in 2004 when EA had a special client for it which was turn based.

but this does sound interesting to say the least

The way I see it working you would also need a list of players down for this. Have a list of turns and how long they get the save file for... Say Brian gets it for 3 days, and than Bryan, 3 days, leo 3 days etc. It would need some sort of system as to who gets it. If not it would be random uploads and if I download the region and so does leo at the same time. We both build a nice city and I upload. Mine is now the most recent save file but Leo's work is not in it. You guys see what I mean? 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor