mayorm

The Official ST Is Down Thread

50 posts in this topic

Here we go again...

Logged 9/16 at 5:14 PM

Sorry about that!

The server is in Maintenance mode.

(We will return shortly.)

ST got another HD frying problem, I can't show you the log because it almost pralysed my pc, so I don't want to take risks, also it said something like "Sever error" or something.

LC

Whenever you try to post a new CJ update, Simtropolis decides it doesn't want to work. And of course it's when I'm trying to actually post a CJ update, how nice.....

Oh well, it gives me a little more time to look for a free host of a 5590 x 2465 picture..... Fun stuff :P

So ST for me hasn't been on for a really long time.....

Well now it's back.... with a new design that I have to learn, of course!

They're like Facebook, when I finally get used to it they change it :P

I didn't say that.

I said that I have to relearn it.... again icon_geek.png

The normal maintenance screen has gone up. But when I logged on earlier it was the IPS installer... something went wonky me thinks?

Edited-ness: The almighty ST twitter account hath stated it is software upgrades. Be back in a couple of hours.

Apparently... wonder what they're updating. I thought ST was running on the latest version of IPB 3.3.3... thus why it was ST 7.3.3. Must be another part of the site, I guess.

ST server I think is getting overloaded- tryed for the last 30 minutes o get in and keep getting the message that I've timed out- Oh well- If they are going to be like that- I hope this site gets things going quick.

In the last 6 months ST has been working great, unfortunately in the last week or so the site reverted back to its old self.

has ST ever been working great? lol.gif

Haha, actually it worked really well when it switched servers (at least I think it did) and when it updated to IBP 3.3.3/ST7.3.3 :P

ST's really expensive to run, and Dirk isn't a millionaire. He runs the site off donations, and so the server at the moment's the best you're going to get. If there are too many people online and it's lagging, then there's nothing that can be done. It's a shame, because more than 90% of Simtropolis accounts only download plugins (don't post in forums, don't upload files, don't have a CJ).

ST's really expensive to run' date=' and Dirk isn't a millionaire. He runs the site off donations, and so the server at the moment's the best you're going to get. If there are too many people online and it's lagging, then there's nothing that can be done. It's a shame, because more than 90% of Simtropolis accounts only download plugins (don't post in forums, don't upload files, don't have a CJ).[/quote']

No kidding. The software alone is $200+, plus the domain, but the biggest part really is the server bills. It is about how many only download. That used to be me. Not the used to. Now I have a CJ which won a trixie, am developing a second one and have over 1200 posts in the forums. I sometimes wonder just how much the site costs to run, it certainly can't be cheap.

For the sake of it, I looked at IPS hosted sites (I know ST isn't hosted there, at least I think it isn't... so this may not be representative of the true cost of ST, so if you want ignore the rest of this paragraph... :P) and for a site with the number of users ST usually has online usually, plus the size of the STEX, it would be pushing the largest package they have available, which is $590 a month. Not sure if this is anywhere near the true cost of ST, so I could be completely off base like I mentioned.

Anyways, point is, ST is expensive to run. So it will have its problems because it is a free site. This has been my long winded way of saying I agree with you, Samerton. :P

As an aside, ST appears to be down right now.

Yeah ST is really expensive to run, I used to be one of those guys who download only til March of last year, when I decided to hang out in the forums.

:P And I'm still looking for money tree... :P eh, not really, I have Extra Cheats DLL :P... In reality, I haven't downloaded STEX stuff in a while since now I'm looking for exclusive Japanese Concepts.

Must have been a random outage, then. I had problems this morning, turned out to be my internet connection. :P