Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
samerton

Sam's Retexture Mods

42 posts in this topic

So, I've decided to embark on a quest to retexture the Maxis Highways into the Real Highway Textures. I'm working on Euro textures first, using Mandelsoft's RHW Euro textures.

So far, a few intersections have been textured. Please remember the textures are in early stages and there's still a lot of work to be done.

These pictures have not been shown anywhere else, they're exclusive to Simmania ;)

The images haven't been resized, so click the links to view them:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Samerton/SC4/test1.png

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Samerton/SC4/test2.jpg

These have, however:

test3.jpg

test4.jpg

Wow, nice work! They look waaaay better than the default MHW textures. Also nice to see a new project thay may complete some of the newer NAM MHW pieces.

I don't really use MHW anymore, but I know many people do so these will come in handy. Nice work, Sam! 364988687.gif

Some more screenies for you (American version now, remember they are not final)

test1ag.jpg

test2al.jpg

test3an.jpg

EDIT: I've also patched the Asphalt Highway Mod's NAM-Y interchange (again, not final):

asphaltt.jpg

EDIT #2: Moar Asphalt Highway Mod patches (not final):

asphalt1.jpg

This one has texture bugs at the bottom, I will fix them.

asphalt2.jpg

They all look good' date=' but won't Project Symphony blindside this?[/quote']

It will likely greatly reduce the need for MHW, however some people just prefer MHW, period. I can vaguely remember someone saying that they disliked RHW because it wasn't suitable for anything but rural areas. So it may not be as popular when released than say, 2 years ago, but it could be useful to some out there, especially those only just starting with custom content.

Plus symphony has to be fully developed, they have a little while yet I think. :P

====

Nice work Sam, look forward to your progress. 26721.gif

They all look good' date=' but won't Project Symphony blindside this?[/quote']

Remember, Project Symphony isn't for everyone ;)

Thanks for your comments 26721.gif

Fixed the alignment issues with the junction pieces (off-ramp textures still being worked on), click the link:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Samerton/SC4/junctionfixed.jpg

In other news, here's the Asphalt Highway Mod's texture fixes:

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28228-asphalt-highway-mod-nam-texture-fixes/

How do you mod the roads and streets textures? I'd like to make some retexturing mods myself

What I do is extract all the textures from the source, eg from the Real Highway dat files. Reader can extract the fsh files from the .dat for you. MultiFsh Tool can convert the .fsh into .png so you can edit them.

Then, you'll need to edit the textures in software such as Inkscape. You can then use MultiFsh Tool to convert the .png back into a .dat to import back into reader, making sure the texture IIDs are the same as what it's meant to be replacing ingame, eg the new RHW-4 texture is identical to the one already in the Real Highway.dat

Load your texture mod after the Real Highway itself (or the network you're replacing) by prefixing the folder it's situated in with zzz, eg zzz_Road_Retexture_Mod.

However, there are hundreds of textures to modify so it's not that easy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0