Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mayorm

Republic of Marquette

35 posts in this topic

updatebanner_zpsadce804c.jpg

"Ladies and Gentleman we ask that you please take your seats, and return them to the upright position as we prepare for our landing here in Port Charlotte. Time is 5:40pm and the weather is clear skies, with a current temperature of 71 degrees. On behalf of the staff I would like to thank you for flying Air Marquette and we will be on the ground in just a few minutes."

Westbrook-May26281371018121_zps4590d51e.jpg

Jetport01.JPG

"Hello and welcome Simmania Tour Group! I hope you enjoyed your flights here! On behalf of the Marquette Department of Tourism and Recreation I would like to personally welcome you to the Republic of Marquette! My name is Matt, and I will be showing you around our great country as well as answering any questions you may have. We will begin our tour of Marquette by visiting Port Charlotte and its surrounding metro area, then make our way to New Chatham to see the Capital, we will then make our way North to see some of the country side, and then head to the Down East region. For now though we have a private bus ready outside to take you to dinner and the hotel for the evening, so if you will please follow me to baggage claim."

AIRPORT_SCARE_4520901-600x389.jpg

"As we tour Port Charlotte you will notice many signs that say Portland. That is the metro area's nickname and is applied in various places to unify the region a bit more as most of Marquette's population resides in around the city. You also notice our extra security presence as the Terminal is being remodeled and expanded. Please make sure you have your bags and we will head over to the hotel now."

Westbrook-Sep15301371763746_zps48acb98f.jpg

"Here we are, this evening we will be staying at the Omni Hotel at the Airport. The Omni chain of hotels is one of the best in Marquette, and we will also be dining at there world class restaurant inside. This hotel and the others around it are located in a growing area, as you can see by the abundance of agriculture. Most of the surrounding farmland is scheduled to be re-zoned soon."

Limani.jpg

"I told you this hotel was nice! I was the former manager at the Omni Capital Hotel in New Chatham before I went to work for the Tourism Department. This is one of many great stops that we will have on the tour, I should mention that you are free to order anything on the menu as all bills are being footed by the Tourism Department. For now please excuse me as I check and see if our schedule is set for tomorrow, and remember if you have any comments, questions or concerns feel free to ask me, or let me me know."

repliesbanner_zpsccd8efb5.jpg

Ceafus88- Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

"Good morning everyone! I hope you all enjoyed the stay here at the Omni. As you sit down to our breakfast buffet I have given you all a copy of this mornings newspaper, specifically the sports section as it is showcasing one of Marquette's most popular spectator sports, ice hockey. This past weekend the high school championships were held downtown so enjoy your breakfast and the reading."

Newspaper1_zpsad8b407a.jpg

Thanks Aco. Yes Tim Hortons is very popular in Marquette despite Dunkin Donuts making a big push into the lower urban portions.

Well everyone its been awhile since an official update was posted and this is not an official one either however I figured I'd show some teasers of my recent (today's) work I did.

PortCharlotte-Nov17331419135935_zpseb8b1f92.jpg

A little bit of my highway work. If I say so myself, my highway skills have come a long way from where they were, especially with the added realism of those sound walls.

PortCharlotte-Nov8331419135890_zpsa7312203.jpg

Yes I realize I left the grid on. Since this is nothing official I figured I'd give a little preview of the soon to be Port Charlotte CBD. Since this picture was taken there has already been a lot of changes made to this area.

Well there ya go everyone, some proof I actually still play the game and I'm not totally dead haha. Hopefully I'll have an actual update soon.

Super job here Matt !

These new teaser- pic updates  look great so far !

It clearly shows that you still have what it takes to build great highways and road systems despite the over increasing complexity of the nam releases.

bben- Thank you, yes my road network building has evolved and is now better than it was in the past overall. However I still struggle with building highway interchanges haha.

Today I have another unofficial update tonight. I reworked some of my highways over the past couple days. So here are some of the pictures of my project. These are just some simple pictures nothing fancy.

PortCharlotte-Aug19441419397679_zps15e8dc67.jpg

New on and off ramps connecting the Royal Atlantic Highway to Big Bear Avenue

PortCharlotte-Feb19471419399017_zpscad813c8.jpg

Begining the highway interchange. This interchange is now complete since the picture was taken.

PortCharlotte-Jul5631419735509_zps8fe06d2d.jpg

More progress on a possible partial interchange.

PortCharlotte-Mar8441419190127_zpsf5708748.jpg

A reworked exit in the industrial area, this picture was taken before I redid it again so even this update is outdated.

Matt,

Great pics on those RHW interchanges

I really like how you showed a variety of construction aspects through the use of multiple pics.

I always enjoy "In- progress" type pics like you have done here.

Thanks, Brian

Aldini- Thanks. Hopefully I'll have a few official ones soon.

Bben- Thank you. I think its nice to show work in progress sometimes. While many people do showcase some beautiful and flawless work once its fully completed, sometimes I feel as though it can become a little mundane.

AcoG000- Thank you Aco.

Flag.jpg

Marquette has always been flowing with a mix of French and English heritage. The far northern reaches border Canada's province of Quebec and as expected is home to abundant numbers of French speaking people, making French and English the two official languages of the country. Proposals to make changes to the national flag have been discussed for years but nothing has ever gone farther than talk, recently however a proposal to incorporate symbolism of French heritage on the Marquette flag will be discussed in the upcoming Parliament session. Plans to replace the center symbol on the flag which is currently a golden eagle representing strength, freedom, and prosperity, with a golden fleur de le to show the French influence and heritage. Parliament is expected to discuss the proposal and if enough approval is given to go ahead and vote on making the change. Preliminary drawings of the fleur de le are below.

Fleur-de-Lis1.jpg

I will be restarting Marquette in the next few weeks. However it'll take some work, I lost my entire plugins folder and will have to download everything again and create a new region.

Matt, I eagerly look forward to your return my friend

I would be great to have another SC4 CJ back in action again at Simmania

god_donut- Thanks. I'll be updating the ads every news post.

bben- Thanks, well now you finally have some in game pictures to look through haha. 

Ceafus- Thank you. Don't worry the ads will keep changing each time.

Port%20Charlotte-Oct.%202%20124146379849

"I hope everyone enjoyed the train ride, Marquette has some of the best passenger rail service in North America from Amtrak, Via Rail and other regional carriers like Portland Passenger Rail. We have begun our tour here in Port Charlotte, this vibrant, but historic city greets visitors from the shores of the mighty Atlantic Ocean with its older but impressive skyline! Port Charlotte is Marquette's largest city with a population of around 2.5 million in the metro area, frequently nicknamed Portland. Currently you are standing the magnificent Port Charlotte Central Station, one of the largest rail terminals in the country. But I will talk more about that once we are outside, go ahead and grab your bags from baggage claim, and we'll meet just outside the main doors.

amtrak-penn-station-train-flickr.jpeg

Port%20Charlotte-Mar.%202%20129146381351

"We're lucky to have nice weather for the first day of our tour. Right now we are standing in Allen Square, in the heart of Port Charlotte. Behind us is Port Charlotte Central Station which was built in 1932, it handles approximately 120,000 passengers on an average weekday and is one of the city's most iconic structures, reflecting the city’s strong architectural heritage and historic achievements. Speaking of historic achievements, Port Charlotte is Marquette's oldest city, and the former capital. Allen Square is one of the central gathering places for the city, the monument in the center of the square is named Fallen Heroes Memorial, it was added to the square in 1985 to honor those who have given their lives to protect Marquette's sovereignty and freedom. Allen square is named after General John P. Allen. who led Marquette's forces involved in the D-Day operation during WWII."

Port%20Charlotte-May.%2025%2013414638147

Port%20Charlotte-Oct.%2017%2013114638145

"Looking straight across from us is the former Marquette capital building, which is now Port Charlotte City Hall. And as you may notice there is such amazing architecture in the many skyscrapers surrounding us."

Port%20Charlotte-Feb.%2026%2012914638135

"One of the most spectacular is the newest skyscraper in the city the Bank of Marquette tower (right) which was completed in 2014. On the left is Atlantic Street Tower home to 94.5 KPMG Radio as well as other businesses. Lets walk down Atlantic Street towards the ocean and we'll look at two more cultural icons."

Port%20Charlotte-Mar.%2031%2012914638135

"The St. Louis Cathedral draws visitors to its doors from all over the country and the world. Masses are still held in Latin here so if you plan on attending a service, you may want to bring a dictionary or buy one of those language learning DVDs. "

Port%20Charlotte-May.%204%20129146395086

"Directly across the street (right) is the Port Charlotte Performing Arts Center. It hosts concerts, theater productions, speeches, some of Marquette's finest performers such as Judd Nelson began their careers here. If enough of you want I can pull some strings with the Tourism Department and I can get everyone tickets to see Frozen: Live On Stage that will be starting its run this week. The main theater can seat just under 2,500 spectators

Port%20Charlotte-Feb.%2017%2012914638134

Across Cathedral Ave. is the Port Charlotte Children's and Art Museum which contains 3 floors of activities for children and hosts an art gallery containing many fascinating pieces of artwork, including pieces from the Penobscot tribes that once called this region home. The Port Charlotte Zoo is also very close by, the zoo features many animals from all over the world.

Port%20Charlotte-May.%2013%2012914639508

"One of the fanciest towers in downtown is what's known as the Glass Angels Towers, the twin glass spiral towers that are home to the headquarters of two large corporations. Although one of the companies names escapes me at the moment, Cross Insurance whom we'll talk more about in a moment. Let's take go down to the marina where are charter boat will take us a little up the Scamman River which empties into the Atlantic Ocean here in Port Charlotte."

Port%20Charlotte-May.%209%20129146395087

"One final shot of downtown as we head down river."

Port%20Charlotte-Jun.%2014%2011914637973

As we sail up the Scamman, we enter the sports district, I mentioned Cross Insurance earlier, on the left is Cross Insruance Arena. Built in 1977, it was the home arena for the Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League for 23 seasons until 2016. However there will be a new Pirates team taking their place in the Marquette Juunior Hockey League (MJHL) with a seating capacity of 6,733 permanent seats for hockey, and up to 9,500 for concerts, the age of the arena doesn't mean it lacks any modern amenities.

piratesdl.jpg

And of course on the left is Marquette Airways Field, this stadium recently received a renovation that saw the addition of a retractable roof which is the same type of roof used on Safeco Field in Seattle, unfortunately the manufacturer shipped it with the name on the top, but that's scheduled to be removed after this season. With a seating capacity of 40,000 the stadium is the largest stadium in the Marquette National Baseball League (MNBL) home to the Port Charlotte Seadogs.

Port%20Charlotte%20Seadogs_zpsarhhk4fr.j

"Now we'll head back to our hotel in downtown for dinner, as I'm told it should be ready soon. Tomorrow we'll look around the University Shores area."

I agree with Aldini above that this as excellent update here !

I especially like the sports arenas you have put in this city..

Adds a very nice touch to things...

Brian

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0