bben

transit mania- ville

575 posts in this topic

I thought 3 million had a population of 3000k :P

I'm glad that the city is growing faster since you fixed the pedestrian leak. How high do you think the population can go in this city?

13 hours ago, god_donut said:

'm glad that the city is growing faster since you fixed the pedestrian leak. How high do you think the population can go in this city?

Currently, I am at  2229 K in Rail city..

The record for city population in the Florida region ( and indeed in the rest of the community as far as we know) =  2555 K

So to break that I would need roughly about another 325 K population.  I think this is still possible to do but currently i am making another city sweep for any areas of rail congestion that I can lower a bit. Also i am still in the process of expanding the city- wide subways system..

I will of course continue to keep everyone posted on this next population milestone goal..

20 hours ago, Ceafus 88 said:

Wow :D it just keeps growing, best of luck at surpassing the record!!

Rail City continue to grow and expand !

However , before continuing to zone residential area and grow the population further , i felt it was time for another peruse of congestion rail network areas to see if I could ease congestion in those areas..

The first logical place to start for this is the amazing Big City Junction area.

Most areas of BC Junction were holding there own with rail network congestion.

However the North side of the junction has gotten pretty congested.. We have at least 4 rail networks in the red/ dark orange + one GLR line well past traffic capacity levels...

pl0tKS.jpg

So i have first started off here initiating a project to try and run a second GLR line across all those rail tracks and pedmall-

OOkGZ3.jpg

This will require many NAM puzzle pieces to accomplish.. But i feel it can be done !

Thanks for your replies guys B)

Well I was able to construct the second tram line across all those rail networks + Pedmall tiles.

However , both GLR  lines are still quite congested ( one line is fully in the Red with 28 K sims , the other is dark orange with about 18 K sims using those Trams)..

My first pic clearly shows the congestion in the GLR lines-

4WlTQB.jpg

Pedestrian traffic is very heavy in this Northern side of Big City Junction .

There is even one tile which has exceeded the traffic limit of 65,500 K !

1O1WfT.jpg

In addition Neal's glr to bus transfer station is now at 4 X its original capacity and is in danger of becoming non - functional

KTDAyE.jpg

I have decided to remove Neal's station for now..

So my current plans are to try and add a third GLR line as shown by the black dashes in my pic. As well as coming up with a better solution to the GLR stations in the area which can support this amount of traffic -

qpTltF.jpg

Highly interesting! I like the way you attempt to deal with those massive congestion issues - which are partly caused by insufficient built-in capacities of the various networks in the game. It is great fun to try to overcome those limitations.

Rail City - GLR update :

I was able to complete the GLR (3 -glr lines ), project on the back side of BCJ ( Big City Junction )..

However as i told Pierre, the possibility of the better station set up in this area as only opened the flood gates to a great deal more GLR traffic in the area..

My first pic than clearly shows not only all 3 GLR lines in the red in the congestion view, but also a single GLR tile near the bottom of the pic that has reached the sc4 traffic limit of = 65530.

My plans are to try and support the north side of the pic with additional subway support.

Than on the south side of the pic will entail a large GLR expansion project. There is plenty of room for expanding the GLR system down there to include more network lines as you can see..

ZN3ohs.jpg

The second part of my update shows everyone the GLR station modding project which is still ongoing.

I have taken Tonkso's GLR station and expanded it to having 2 GLR lines. The current plans are to make an additional( 3 X 3 0, station which would have 3 GLR lines-

yrSVSI.jpg

The congestion with 65535 Sims on the single GLR line is rather 'normal', since the 3 parallel GLR lines funnel into that single line, which then becomes the bottleneck. I suppose that only a subway extension can enhance the situation, and I am curious to see how this will develop.

Very nice planning my friend.  Seems like you're in need of a transit hub or two ;) 

Thanks for your comments guys :)

Neal, I agree with you ..

I was planning on going back and working on the eye candy elements a bit with these new multi network stations I have created. So we can see what I come up with later in that regard.

My next station  am still planning on expanding Tonkso's GLR basic station out to 3 tracks. Which would make the dimensions of this station will be 3 X 3.. I am starting to see the need for such a wider GLR station as I continue to expand the glr networks which are near Big city junction + the CBD..

Pierre, you were correct in that the 1 glr network tile which surpassed the traffic limit ( 65530). was due to the funneling effect. I have already added a second GLR line to that area and currently the 2 lines are now carrying  33k + 25 K now. Now with my traffic capacity settings those would still be in the RED, Because anything close to or exceeding  20 K / GLR line would show up as red in the congestion view. However I still have room in most of these area to continue to add more glr lines and widen the glr corridors..Which is what i am curently working on ..

Also i am still having a minor issue where the single line Tonkso Glr station is reporting that it has a capacity of 50 K. It is supposed to be reporting 25 K as I have adjusted this in in the Live reader in the usual property - " Traffic switch traffic capacity" to read as 25 K. But it seems to be reporting the traffic capacity from my new 2 track Tonkso GLR station instead. I have still not discovered why the game engine is doing this. I think it has something to do with the way I have had to adjust the IID values of the properties of both stations , in order to try and get them both to properly function in game together,

This morning I am going to try and now construct the Tonkso GLR ( 3 X 3) station. Meanwhile i will see if I can straighten out the capacity settings for all 3 stations B)

Rail City population Update :  2234 K

Here is part of my ( massive) new GLR corridor which passes through the north side of ( Big City rail Junction).

I finally now have most of the GLR traffic congestion under control in this area, although I have 1 or 2 secondary GLR lines I need to widen as yet..

9zGTQ8.jpg

Wow, what an interchange!! My question is, what is that single track piece of GLR? Was it an old puzzle piece?

1 hour ago, Nilo7 said:

My question is, what is that single track piece of GLR? Was it an old puzzle piece?

First of all great to see u back posting again , Neal !

I assume you mean those pieces that are a part of the GLR multi track stations that I modded ?

Those were just some over lay textures that I noticed in the  Lot Editor...

whereas , i wanted something that was distinctive from the normal GLR textures , so  as not to be confused with GLR network pieces, but those pieces which were a part of the new GLR multi- track stations I recently modded..

New Rail City Full Update :

City Population = 2210- 2230 K

I have some good news to share with everyone.

There are 2 items that have been helpful , in reducing rail congestion in Rail City -

The first of these :

As a result of some of the work I have done on the city wide GLR networks, the rail congestion has dropped quite a bit.

I am still hopeful ( as a result of more GLR construction work), that i will find a good balance between rail and GLR traffic in and around big city junction .

In any event, i would like to show a pic of what the work on the GLR networks has done to reduce rail congestion in and around (BCJ) .

jW02da.jpg

So these 3 areas, whereas areas (1 and 3 ), and shown the most congestion in previous Rail City updates..have shown a marked reduction in rail network congestion. Than area 2 ( which i consider to be the main lines which enter BCJ proper have shown a modest reduction in rail traffic.

Item 2,

concerns my recent finding, that i had the wrong (older traffic plugin), in my NAM folder. This older plugin had only mass transit capacity settings = 15 K ( this would of course include both the GLR + Rail network settings)..

The correct capacity settings ( that I have used for quite some time now ), are actually 20 K for all mass transit networks in game. This was of course corrected using the live reader immediately ..  So once the game was run for a good 3 years with the correct traffic settings, another screen shot of the BCJ congestion view was obtained. I am happy to report even a further reduction in rail congestion + traffic in  and around  BCJ.

NUA0ID.jpg

In closing this update,

I feel this now opens the door wider in terms of attempting to surpass the all time city community population record,

which is currently a city population of =  2554 K

Ah, very nice, my friend! Your rail networks are almost all green and yellow now.  On to 3 million!  For the road that was circled as a part of number 1, have you considered upgrading it to an avenue?

3 hours ago, Nilo7 said:

For the road that was circled as a part of number 1, have you considered upgrading it to an avenue?

Neal, first thanks for your comments

The road that you are referring to is actually a RHW-2. So that would already be at maximum capacity for a 1 tile network, anyways..

Nice update B, what about upgrading it to a AVE-4 or whichever one fits on one tile, I can't remember. :P

Thanks Clayton !

Prolly, the next best options, due to the the fact these are the best traffic capacity option / tile-

would either be an MIS system ( because its a one- way system) or trying to put in a RHW-4 ( although with the RHW-4 than you have to get into the concept, of ramps and possible interchanges)..

Is the road being used heavily to bypass the rail junction? If so I'd consider leaving this road as-is and looking into possible alternate routes. If that's not possible than this will probably be quite tricky :P

Since I have had a lot of recent interest now from Josh, Neal + Clayton,

I have decided than to do another full update on Rail City..

20 hours ago, pupper_donut said:

Is the road being used heavily to bypass the rail junction? If so I'd consider leaving this road as-is and looking into possible alternate routes. If that's not possible than this will probably be quite tricky :P

I took a couple screen shots of BCJ , in order for us to explore this question by doing a routing analysis ..

zJ9kjw.jpg

So here i took a Route Query on the right side of the pic, with out congested network in question being a RHW-2..

Here the query was taken on the morning commute, and shows car traffic ( green arrow) all headed  West -Bound, None of the car traffic is (through - traffic), with all the cars stopping either at the first underground parking area ( first pink arrow) , or stopping at the parking facilities of the Marrast X 3 stations further West..

In stark contrast to this all bus traffic which is headed East - Bound is all traffic which is passing through ( apparently there are no bus stops or stations in the Big City rail Junction area).

A similar story is told , after taking a route query from the other side of the stations -

Airlz3.jpg

With all car traffic headed east - Bound , stopping and parking at the Marrast station to use other mass transit options..

... and again all the bus traffic on the RHW-2 is simply passing through the BCJ area..

this route query was also taken on the morning commute cycle,,

Where do all these rails go? Big cities sure have a big need for transportation. You do a great job seeing to the transportation needs of your sims. :)