bben

transit mania- ville

559 posts in this topic

This raises 2 questions for me:

First, the RHW-2, on the left part of the pictures, has about 9000 'things' passing on it, cars and buses (even if we know that there are in fact neither 'cars' nor 'buses' actually travelling; I take it to be passengers, i.e. Sims). It is not very high - even when we don't really know during which unit of time this happens - is it per day, per hour, per some other duration? I never figured that out, and the Prima Guide is not helpful in this area. Is this relatively low number an effect of using the Medium setting of the Traffic Simulator?

Second, I wonder about those bus 'passengers' who are passing thru that main transportation hub without making any usage of railway, subway or GLR. I assume that they are using buses because they have no other choice for transportation in their daily commutes. Perhaps in orde to reduce the bus congestion on that RHW-2, those Sims should have more travelling choices?

Pierre, and TC..

I really appreciate the additional questions in my Rail City CJ as it creates more discussion and activity for my CJ and in the Simmania forums  B)

So i will start with TC's question first :

16 hours ago, Towncrafter said:

Where do all these rails go?

The rail system is pretty much present - City - Wide. So really am answer is the entire city..:)

And now on to Pierre's questions -

5 hours ago, pierreh said:

Is this relatively low number an effect of using the Medium setting of the Traffic Simulator?

Yes it is

Actually,  My RWH capacity setting is one of my hardest and most challenging settings.

My setting is = 8,000 / tile

Low = 6,000 .. medium = 10,000

So as you can see it is at a setting in between the Low and Medium settings of the traffic Sim.

5 hours ago, pierreh said:

Perhaps in order to reduce the bus congestion on that RHW-2, those Sims should have more travelling choices?

This was also my thoughts as well ;)

I think the car traffic is fine. it is not too high a number really given my RHW capacity setting . But also these are all sims who choose to use the rail systems. I do not think they should be discouraged from doing so.

But the bus traffic is another matter. I need to find out why these sims are using all these buses and also where is there destinations.. As you mentioned I think this is the key to finding alternative routes for these sims using buses.. i will try to get this done before our chat meeting Tuesday morning :monkey:

Rail city update :

I made some progress tracking where the Bus traffic is originating from -

7RAoFR.jpg

So all of the bus traffic( but 100 bus) come from this underground pedmall, bus /parking  station..

about 6300 bus,,,

My next step than is to try and find out where it might be originating before this stop and than see what i can do to provide alternative routing perhaps,,

If you do a route query on the stretch of RHW-2 where you have the bus traffic, won't it show you where all those commuters start their journeys? Presumably in residences of course.

Rail City Bus update:

Much of the congestion has dropped off on the RHW-2 which as many of you recall was pretty much fully red , through-out its route. Sometimes if you allow the game to run a bit, the congestion will work itself out over a longer time frame. So perhaps this was the case here-

AQV7LH.jpg

As we can see from this congestion view pic , a large portion of the RHW-2 i have circled as 1).. has now dropped from red- to orange. And an even further reduction on congestion as occurred in the area I have circled as 2).. which has dropped from red to yellow now. So i do not see dealing with the bus usage as big a priority now, although i will still keep an eye on this rhw-2 route in the future to monitor congestion..

Otherwise currently rail city is in pretty good shape concerning congestion. Most of the red routes are now subway which is easy for me to create additional subway tubes underground where needed. So i will be working on this next..

The population has dropped a bit now to 2211 K.. i think I reached a peak there of 2230 K ish, so i would like to work on growing the population also in the near future.

Glad to hear that area 1 has sorted itself out. Why is that area to the right of area 2 so red? is that rail or road there?

Hi everyone !

it has been a long time since i posted a new update to my CJ..

So as I promised Pierre today in our RTMT chat meeting, here is a pic of my new city, which is to test for RHW highway construction being the cause of my recent CTD's in some of my nam- intensive cities-

Current city population = 17,500

Region population has recently passed 14, 900 K

This is just a zoom # 1 lay out pic that shows the small and skinny size of the land mass as compared to how much water is on this map tile -

4VxMNs.jpg

Thanks for the update, Brian! It is good to see the layout of the terrain you selected for your new city - a thin band of land to be sure, but you still have room for exercising RHW.

I also see where you are having trouble with your RHW-2 bridge. It could be too short. I think that I had a similar problem once, with a RHW-4 bridge. (I never use RHW-2).

As discussed yesterday in our chat, I'll soon be reactivating my Talaran CJ.

Edited by pierreh

On 10/8/2016 at 5:19 AM, pierreh said:

I also see where you are having trouble with your RHW-2 bridge. It could be too short. I think that I had a similar problem once, with a RHW-4 bridge. (I never use RHW-2).

Thanks for your advice here my good friend Pierre :)

i did try a much longer bridge in a couple of my other cities, and I still get the same error as before..

So unless you have any other ideas on this, what i plan to do is wait until NAM 35 is released and than I will try a NAM reinstall

and than we will see what happens with that.

So mean while in my RHW test city which has surpassed 30 K in population now, I am using a system of rail bridges , parking and assorted bu stations which is working out quite well so far. I have built 2 rail bridges and one of these already is carrying  2738 in rail traffic..

Here is a zoom 3 pic of what I have done so far with these new rail bridges -

2bVXVS.jpg

This is quite surprising, Brian!

I tried a RHW-2 bridge in one of my cluster cities. I got immediately a bridge proposed, with the window in which you can choose a bridge of your liking:

M9ehhQ.jpg

I didn't complete the construction because this was only a test and I didn't need the RHW-2 there. But it shows that, in my game at least, building a RHW-2 bridge seems to be no problem. Therefore I really wonder what is happening in your game.

(Since SC4D seems to be out at present, I can't PM you there, so I seize the opportunity of this post to let you know that I could chat on Friday from 6:45 to 7:30 am your time; after that I need to get ready for a meeting).

Pierre, thanks for your post, that shows indeed we should be able to build RHW bridges with NAM 33 or 34..

I also wonder if  this issue with dragging the bridges is also related to the CDT errors I get when i try to drag other networks in my more intensive NAM cities.. I am ready now I think to put in my first ramps to my current RHW- 2 because the population and traffic on the roads is ready for this..

Finally 6:45 Am Friday , October 14, th will be fine for our next RTMT in the chat room here ..

I will try to get there by 630 AM, but we make it 6:45 officially, in case I over sleep my friend..

RHW test city

Population : 56,000

I have good news so far with my NAM CTD issues, I was able to  build a basic RHW-2  T - Interchange so far with

no crashes issues to date in my test city -

zzXuUY.jpg

We discussed your above picture during our chat today, Brian, and I mentioned that I thought a connection was missing, to allow traffic coming from the right of the picture to continue toward the bottom of the picture. Then you commented that you didn't always see the need to symmetrical connections, or if you prefer, connections allowing traffic in both directions, based on routing observations.

Even if we know that evening commute traffic 'doesn't count' much in the game, I still think that it needs to be handled properly. In the above example, you may have traffic in the bottom-to-right direction only, but not in the right-to-bottom direction, during the morning commute, if you have R-zoning at the bottom and C-zoning (or I-zoning) on the right. During the evening commute, Sims will be returning home from their jobs, so that you will have a lot of right-to-bottom traffic, and possibly no bottom-to-right traffic in that commute. Then you still need a proper right-to-bottom connection on your RHW-2 network. But that's only my personal view of course.

2hLo5D.jpgYup, Pierre

i fully agree with your observations in the above posting..

Thus i have already modified the previous rhw-2 interchange and have added the new over pass which is also the missing

right to bottom route you mentioned I needed in this city's traffic situations-

Pierre,

i have an additional update and request..

i did try one of Robin's ideas which was to pull both the nam + Z_1 nam folders out of plugins..

Than I tried the bridges in an empty city tile

I still have the same issues with both the Rhw-2 + OWR bridges..,

where I get the terrain errors.

I than was curious if I had any of those bridge spans in my older cities, but have only found avenue + road bridges..

So the favor , I would like to ask you is to see if you can span a OWR bridge for me in one of your cities my friend ?

Thanks !, Brian

Here is my OWR bridge test:

OWR_Bridge.jpg

The spanning works properly. It is an OWR stretch - even if it is not easy to discern it; surely you can trust me on this.

Some plugin other than one in the NAM or the z__NAM folders is probably the cause of your difficulties. You may want to remove folders from your plugins, to see if you can span owr bridges, and then put them back one at a time until you determine which one gives you trouble. Surely you know how that works.

Pierre,

thanks so much for running these tests here and helping me out here,,

I think we can pretty safely say, it does not look like the issue has to do with my NAM

install so far. As you said looks like some other type of conflict in my plugins folder..

I am still wondering if I have the slope mod in plugins. I am going to say at this point

that i do NOT. Because I was organized enough ( I am pretty sure) that I did place it in a sub folder labeled " Slope Mod "

But I am going to be checking again just to make sure about that as Robin suggested.

So otherwise its just the usual testing of various folders from plugins to see if something turns out and than

you can isolate the issue to a specific folder I have in there causing this issue.

But kinda strange really its just those 2 bridges so far, out of all the networks !

Okay Pierre,

and everyone else..

Thanks to Pierre's help I have solved the bridge dragging issues for both RHW-2 + OWR bridges..

The problem was a conflicting bridge shadows DAT, that was a part of my Buddy Bud ' s El rail Mod package..

I have now removed this file, So I should be able to drag all network bridges again.. :icon_razz: