bben

transit mania- ville

570 posts in this topic

I am now proud to announce that the former RHW test city has now become ...

THE ISLES  !!:D

Population =  74, 663

HZe45l.jpg

The Isle now consist of an assortment of 10 bridges, with rail, Avenue, and RHW-2 being the highlight here so far..-

HblJfH.jpg

I present the current design and configuration of Isle Junction -

1PxPc1.jpg

Recently, due to traffic congestion, the first RHW-4 divided highway segment was constructed here -

Ij6mLa.jpg

Current traffic flows and congestion are now moderate but acceptable -

PSzAZv.jpg

"The Isles" sounds definitely a lot better than "RHW Test City"! The development of that city will be interesting. There doesn't seem to be much land surface available, but I think that you said earlier that you would be doing a lot of land reclamation from the large body of water.

Now that you got the bridge issue out of the way, will you be replacing the rail links across some waterways, by standard roads, or owr's, or rhw's?

I like those traffic figures on the highway. Maybe as this city grows you could build some mega collector/distributor thruways :P 

Just a quick note to everyone :

I am still involved in NAM 35 testing so we can get this latest NAM release out you all of you guys

as soon as possible !

So there has been a small delay in the CJ updates..

Pierre,

I am still getting the CTD's crashes in the older RHW intensive cities they have at least a couple generations

of NAM development. They don't happen super fast like the first second you try something in these cities, so I was

actually able to use these cities for testing NAM 35 content.. in a couple of these cities.. :D

THE ISLES 

Population =  114, 663

I have reached 2 new population mile stones for this update !

+ I would like to show a pic of one of the new NWM bridges, which in my city I have built the AVE- 6 bridge -

WVT7Bz.jpg

next up is the Population milestone of going past 100 K -

6fn5vA.jpg

And than finally the milestone of going past 15 million in the florida region -

QtqN8L.jpg

Quite an impressive population milestone, none of my regions have come close to matching that! The NWM bridge looks really good as well! Looking forward to seeing more!

The AVE-6 bridge looks good indeed, but it ends abruptly, on one side, against a regular Maxis avenue: will you be upgrading that avenue to AVE-6 as well?

thanks for your postings guys !

Yes i think some of the bridges work this way..

In that you also need another starter piece for your network on the other side of the bridge.

Also the reason why in this case you do, is the 2- NWM bridges , you have to drag with the avenue tool . But with most of the NWM based networks, they are road based networks, that you normally drag with the road based tool.. So as you are dragging the bridge , once you get over to the other side , it just reverts back to Ave- 4 again ..

But yes Pierre, i did plan on upgrading the avenue- 4 on the other side to all avenue- 6 at some point..

issues update on the past cities where i get CTD...

I realize now from reading the main NAM install directions, I had took out the past nam's + Z_ nam folders from plugins.., when installing the past few NAM's...

Which is something the nam install strongly advises you NOT to do. it is quite possible this has been the issue than with a few of my RHW - intensive cities..

So what i have tried with this latest NAM 35 install was to put back my old NAM 32 folders in plugins and than try installing NAM 35 over the top of that..

Ill test these older cities to see if this has made any positive impact on reducing the CTD issues I have with them

THE ISLES 

Population =  134, 338

Update :  The big RHW construction project which will eventually provide a full expansion of the main North - South corridor  from RHW-2 to the RHW-4,

has now been completed through the Isles Junction -

jQe5Ik.jpg

Traffic flows have now greatly improved through the junction , with the main traffic congestion and bottle neck remains on the south side ( black circled area ),

Where the rhw-4 transitions back down still to the rhw-2. This area will be the next planned upgrade section of highway from the RHW-2 to the RHW-4 -

uO4X92.jpg

Good work, Brian!

I am somewhat surprised by the at-grade crossing, in the middle of the first picture in your post above, between the RHW-4S and what looks like a plain road. In my cities, anything '4S' and above has highway status, which means no at-grade crossing, only ramps. Will there be an upgrade of that crossing?

(I think that the picture you showed me today in chat is not in the same area as the pictures above, because the RHW-4S is closer to the industry. Or maybe you extended your industry zoning toward the highway in the meantime? I hope you post that new picture soon.)

Pierre,

thanks for your comments my friend !

I am somewhat surprised by the at-grade crossing,

Yes, for now I have decided to go back to a semi- Hybrid highway, where I have both at grade crossings + full blown

interchanges....I think most of the at grade crossings I have so far are RHW-2, even though they might look like road crossings..

Also new to NAM 35 is the avenue X RHW-4 crossing,

This was the way i first started my highway building for RHW many years ago.. But i think eventually as the city continues to grow

larger , as you asked about..this may end up being a full larger interstate, eventually.. with possibly no at- grade crossings

although I do not have one of those crossings in my city as yet....

Also you are correct in that I have not posted the new interchange pic as yet...I am planning that 1 for my next full CJ update...

I do think I have already shown that pic to many of our chat members, however...

Some of you guys have seen this space saver interchange already.

But I decided to go and ahead and update my CJ with it..

Note to Pierre:

I did have enough room to put in the better looking and smoother L0 to L1 flex transition in here,

rather than the former onslope steeper transition

The new construction was a bit tricky to pull off.to change the transitions...

I had to use the the new RHW disconnector eraser ( this came in very handy and saved a lot of time)

+ 1 -( L -1 )  ortho filler MIS piece.

kBc4v4.jpg

THE ISLES 

Population =  135, 538

Update : 

Just a small update this morning. Where i had to upgrade a small extension of the RHW-2 to the RHW - 4

MztmRM.jpg

This portion also shows another At - grade crossing with a regular road this time.

The main highway , which has now been upgraded to mostly a RHW -4, remains a  semi - hybrid highway

with a combination of road crossing + interchanges..

However any further upgrades to the main highway which widen it beyond a RHW-4, will necessitate converting to

a full - blown interstate. As there are no road crossings available for any highways wider than a RHW- 4.

But for the time being the RHW-4 has the traffic capacity to handle the current traffic needs of the Isles quite nicely

as the traffic congestion view pic shows -

rMYsFX.jpg

Can you remind me why the 2 squares of  RHW before a crossing show red congestion, whereas the rest of the RHW show green (= no) congestion? This is visible in a few spots in your last picture.

There is supposed to be an intersection effect  which effects 2 tiles away from the intersections..

but green all the way to red seems a bit too extreme for this ?

Just a quick update on those intersection effect squares..

First , I checked in the Live Reader than i had the original settings.. i did.., but

Because of the way I play sc4, which is to have a lot of networks with so many intersections here and there,

.. i went ahead and adjusted 2 settings,,

2 squares away from intersection = 75 %  of network capacity

1 square away  from intersection = 50 % of network capacity

This change has already had the effect of making things look more realistic for me in terms of when using the "congestion view" ..

I may make a small adjustment even further toward higher capacity settings for these squares..

The intersection square itself.. I am still satisfied with the original 125 % capacity setting for those squares, so I did not change it...

Another short Update :

Population has increased a bit in the Isles - 142,000

I also made a further increase in capacity concerning the game's intersection effect for the 2 tiles in distance to any intersection in game.

( the game also considers exits, ramps and any mergers involved in highway interchanges as intersections )

2 squares away from intersection = 85 %  of network capacity

1 square away  from intersection = 60 % of network capacity

Then, do you now see changes in the coloration ahead of intersections, in your congestion views?

1 hour ago, pierreh said:

Then, do you now see changes in the coloration ahead of intersections, in your congestion views?

Yes, I have seen some changes and some effects.

But not as much of a difference as i had hope for.

See, thats why I made the second adjustments to those settings...

I am not 100 % sure I under stand exactly what i am changing though..

I am calling it capacity for simplification reasons.

What, i have heard through other postings, is that it actually has something to do with the speed of the networks..

But I should research this really to be sure ..!

I found some additional helpful information on the intersection and turn effect...

It comes from this source here :

A Guide to the Operation of the Traffic Simulator -

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10261.msg310578#msg310578

From this comprehensive posting, I did not find anything here about this effect being related to the speed of the networks..

( even though I still recall it being mentioned in other postings).

It only mentions these property values being a % of the network capacity..

Intersection and Turn Capacity Effect  This property consists of three values that affect the capacity of networks as they approach intersections. 

However , it does mention a bug that may be effecting some of my squares still in game -

However, there is a bug in the Maxis congestion display that sometimes results in the wrong congestion color being displayed for a network tile.

However, since the report was written in 2010, I am a little unsure if this bug still exists, as I am unsure if we still use the original Maxis Congestion display, in today's game play.. or we use a modification of it, that may have been created by Z..

Thanks for your research, Brian!

I don't know either whether the bug causing a wrong congestion color to be displayed has ever been fixed. I don't remember reading anything about it.

I have a faint recollection that the reason why the tiles leading to the intersection have a lower capacity was explained at some point, possibly by Steve, or possibly by Gogeo, and when reading it I found that it made sense - in the game, because off-hand that reduction in capacity is not intuitive at all. But I don't remember where this was mentioned.

And: speaking of congestion colors: since I upgraded my game to NAM 35, the congestions show in various shades of blue, and I don't really like that. I may have selected a parameter for that in the install. If so, I regret that choice. I like the old, 'normal' colors, a lot better.

Nice series of updates Brian, I am with pierreh on the confusion about the red squares.