bben

transit mania- ville

575 posts in this topic

Another informative update on intersection effect tiles on congestion :

I wanted to mention again first i have noticed some improvement in terms of a more realistic effect, on  traffic by the recent changes

i have done with the values in the Live Reader.. on the intersection tiles within a radius of 2 tiles from the intersection squares on

congestion. I am planning on tweaking or trying out some new values just to see if i can make an even further impact on the

congestion view colors..after this posting.

But also I wanted to again mention that the game even considers ramp mergers + overpasses as intersections in game..

This screen shot I think demo's this effect quite well if you look at the circled black areas...

1DbGde.jpg

I could see how the mergers could be considered an intersection in a way, but the over pass is what has me stunned.

I agree, entrance ramps often do cause congestion on highways that are already busy. Overpasses on the other hand make no sense, but it is a 13 year old game :monkey:

Thanks for your guys comments ...;)

Josh I think had it about right...

The game does not recognize the height levels all that well..If were talking about the various functional aspects of the

sim city 4.  So i did know from way back that the game does treat overpasses much the same way as intersections..It is

a bit unfortunate of course, in that it often takes a fair amount of time to construct some of these interchanges..and so

your hoping to acquire all the realistic benefits that should come your way from the work and time spent in creating the

interchanges in Sc 4. Some of the other realistic elements of course do work the way they should , so in terms of routing,

pathing , and how the automa behaves..I would still suggest the height levels are still better than what was promised us

but we never got from the regional play aspects of sim city 4 :D

Short update :

I have entered the condo phase now of my new city the Isles -

This has now pushed the population well into the 180 K range ...

I will do some pics in my next update. But I am struggling with abandonment from my largest condo right now .

I am currently thinking I just need to increase jobs in the area ... So we will see a bit later if this will finally resolve the

abandonment issues with this large condo, which houses about 22 K sims .

Meanwhile, with the intersection tile effect settings -

My last adjustment with those, did not show much change once I had a look at the congestion view. So my thinking there

is , I have done just about all i can with that for now ..

You need a nude beach, maybe they will fill up the condos then! Just kidding, but I look forward to seeing pictures!

THE ISLES 

Population =  165, 538

Update : 

This update of the Isles, now takes us into what i call the " Condo Phase" of faster growth and population in the city.

The first 2 condos have already grown in the city, in which I will be describing those below. This has had the effect of pushing the population of the Isles up about 22 K since the last population update about a week ago...

So here are some of the main city changes since the last update :

IdRgpn.jpg

1) ...  Final South Upgrade for the RHW-2 being widened to the RHW-4

2) ... New condo :Park Phase- R$$ , .. Occupancy =  18,196

3) ... New condo : TaiYuen Phase 2. - R$$ .... Occupancy =  8,638

4).. Pre zoned areas = 13 X 3.. for Manhatten Hill .

Next  Congestion View shot shows a nice usage of the main Isles RHW- 4 completed highway which varies from Light- medium to   medium in congestion/ traffic along its southern branch. It should also be noted that any further widening of the highway will also involve a full blown interstate, as there are no supported at- grade crossings for anything wider than RHW-4. in Sim City 4.

2yIrBJ.jpg

A lot of population for a little island! Nice update Brian! Are there any suburbs on this island with less upward growth and more sprawl?

Also, what is the Mass Transit scene look like in this city?

I agree: this is a nice update, Brian. I like your use of condos - something that I haven't considered at all sofar. I don't remember downloading any of these lots when I prepared for CAM. They do cram a lot of Sims on a small surface. Then you have to give work to these people - well, to about half of them, but still...

I will be interested to watch your highway upgrade, from RHW-4 to, I guess, RHW-6, which will entail changing the at-grade crossings by overpasses, ramps, etc. I don't doubt that you will handle that upgrade in a masterful way..

THE ISLES 

Population =  175, 538

Update : 

Clayton ,  I did a special update tonight in response to your excellent questions..

First here is the best suburban sprawl pic i could come up from my city, so hope you like this 1 -

lVWHsG.jpg

Also, what is the Mass Transit scene look like in this city?

This city is more one of my highways cities, although i do have some rail lines which i am in the process of fully converting from maxis over to the the new RRW rail system . Than of course I also have a sprinkling of bus stops through- out the city as well . So that is about all the mass transit i have so far in this city.

Thank you for the update Brian, I like the sprawl, it looks like it is heavily filled with some of IL's BATs, the white buildings, his content always intrigued me. :)

RRW, I hadn't heard much about that, maybe you and @pierrehierreh could enlighten me a bit on it?

6 hours ago, Ceafus 88 said:

RRW, I hadn't heard much about that, maybe you and @pierreh could enlighten me a bit on it?

Clayton,  thanks for your last comments !

Pierre, has not started using the RRW as yet. I do think he is planning on trying it out at some point though.. 

But it is a rail mod that is a total replacement for the older " Maxis rail"... and its been worked on now for quite some time.. Well at least the last couple of NAM's i know. It is still currently in development, and so they keep coming up with new content all the time ..

I just started using it for the first time with this new city, so i still do not know much about what you can currently do with it . But maybe after work today I can try to post some sorta comparison pic, just to give some idea what the textures look like in comparison to the old maxis rails. And i will post the pic to my CJ here, later on..

THE ISLES 

Population =  234, 000

Update : 

The Isle's population has really exploded now , with the condo phase in full swing..

the population has increased now almost a further + 60 K  since my update on only 3 days ago !

More on that in a bit...

First i would like to show Clayton and others interested a comparison pic of the new Rail replacement Mod, the - RRW

CWFYYn.jpg

My next pic shows the now over congested traffic state of Isle's highway and junction -

xStPnN.jpg

Since even more condos are planned to grow near the highway, I am planning a full highway upgrade to a full blow RHW- 8 interstate, with a complete re;construction of Isle's Junction

Excellent update Brian, the RRW looks excellent, a lot better than the original. :)

Best of luck with the highway updates, I hope you get it figured! I look forward to seeing the RHW-8's!

Looks like a very high capacity solution will be needed to replace that flyover. I'll be looking forward to further updates on what will undoubtedly be a massive project!

thanks for your comments guys !, Josh + Clayton

Yes this has turned into a massive project alrighty With  brian's unique RHW construction spin in full play now :modernwinky:

In general terms , Isles highway has now gone unbalanced !

The Northern branch has fully been upgraded to Level 1,  elevated( 7.5) meters,  4 lane - RHW - 8S

The southern branch has for now been kept at an ( at grade) ground RHW- 4..

This makes for the unique situation that at grade. underpass hybrid routes are still possible across this highway ....

So here is pic 1 which shows that Isle Junction has now grown a great deal in complexity -

4t1aM2.jpg

Next, ...

I was very happy with the overall drop in traffic congestion. The rhw-4 southern branch emplys a unique variety of traffic solutions there to keep traffic congestion under control for the time being..

The circled- in  black fly over , shows the next major construction project , which involves replacing and widening the mis overpass which is still fully congested..

kXbwEu.jpg

Clayton thanks for your comment !

I have now ( for the time being) finished the large construction project which -

1) Widens the northern side and flows of Isle highway from a Level 0 RHW -4 to a elevated level 1 RHW- 8S

2) Uses a variety of smaller traffic solutions to reduce congestion on portions of the Southern branch of Isles' highway but ( for now) maintains a RHW-4, thus creating Isle's highway as an  unbalanced highway..

3) big changes in Isle's junction with the feature change being a double (nested) overpass loop.

Now for some further pics showing the results of the big re construction project of Isle's Highway-

yXMJrx.jpg

Longer range zoomed out screen shot shows a nice view of the new size and complexity of Isle's Junction ..

98At0J.jpg

With this closer zoom in, and focusing on our  double overpass, shows the unique 3- level crossing used..

I now show a couple of before and after congestion view pics to show the dramatic effects on the changes on traffic-

First before construction -

xStPnN.jpg

And finally the big reduction in traffic congestion after construction was completed -

rhkSyQ.jpg

I gotta say, that traffic before looks accurate to Florida traffic! Also I think you have about the most experience with traffic of any SC4 player I've seen. My question is though, the Isles Junction T. What does it lead into it? Does the bottom of the pic continue a highway or does it work its way down to city streets? 

8 hours ago, 7499275 said:

I gotta say, that traffic before looks accurate to Florida traffic! Also I think you have about the most experience with traffic of any SC4 player I've seen. My question is though, the Isles Junction T. What does it lead into it? Does the bottom of the pic continue a highway or does it work its way down to city streets? 

Thanks for the compliments Rocky !

the highways and networks which depart Isles Junction and lead down to the bottom of the pic posted , actually lead right into the main CBD, ( Central Business District)..  -

t1BmJa.jpg

And so typically once a CBD starts to grow like this one and you start to get those more tall high rises, this turns out most times to be one of your highest traffic areas of your growing city. So my most recent work has been to try and get traffic congestion under control in this area as well. Here I am employing more a combination of networks to try and do this. So we have a complex system of one way roads, a few smaller highways like RHW,2 and 4 and an Mis + one rail line brings workers into the congested area..

Here is the current traffic congestion view of this area to date -

kX07A2.jpg

Wouldn't it help if you changed the road right by the power lines to a one way instead of a 2 way road? That would help take pressure off that intersection.

I think that you still have a major point of congestion, about at the middle of the two previous pictures, where there is a single road crossing the main arteries coming from the highway and distributing the traffic into both sides of the CBD. At rush hours you have probably a massive traffic jam building up there. You may need more accesses to the CBD local road network, in order to distribute the traffic more evenly and avoid congestion.

Yes, thanks for your comments guys, Rocky + Clayton + Pierre..

But yes as I think I mentioned in one of the past postings, thats a tough traffic issue what Pierre mentioned in the previous posting.. And a typical issue you find in a larger CBD, where you have a bunch of networks bringing in a lot of sims to and from there work place in Sim city 4 and converging down to a few tiles like that ... It is also a bit messy how I have those multiple OWR.s networks in a bit of a unwieldy manner. that circle a large part of the CBD.  I think a better solution could be perhaps done there.. As also as the CBD continues to expand..,  that set- up may not prove adequate in the future.for traffic needs.

So I am going to put some time into reviewing the overall transit set up in that area.. as A big priority in the City of Isles traffic management department..

Isles Update :

I have now reached the milestone of the quarter million population mark !!

H8HqgF.jpg