bben

transit mania- ville

568 posts in this topic

Hell yeah, congrats on the mile stone. Is this the same region you've had going on for years? Like since back at ST and help desk days? 

I think this Florida region, ( which has far as anyone has told me has the population record of 15.1 million), in the community chat rooms...

was started in 2007..

Congratulations then, Brian, for both the quarter million milestone in The Isles, and your long-lived region, which will be 10 years old next year and we will have another occasion to celebrate!

Thanks for your comments guys on my milestone !!

I am hoping to resume the CJ and city play right after our X-Mas break !

THE ISLES 

Population =  264, 000

Hello everyone !

I have found some time this morning to do a shorter update

With the  Isles population still gradually increasing, as we continue into what is known as the " Condo Growth Phase", ,

.. of course new areas of traffic development will always be an issues. Especially, in this dense city where we have just the one main highway artery, and also originally not much was planned in the way of mass transit. . So the rail networks have been expanded, but little room is available for further expansion there.

So predictably, we have now run into some new areas of heavy car congestion on Isle's highway. I have created a screen shot of the 2- main new traffic issues and than I will try to explain what is planned next by way of highway construction ..

OYIpVG.jpg

Okay so the red .. 1 )

Here traffic has gotten out of hand because the CBD has grown.. And so many workers now prefer to take this route into the CBD. A new traffic solution will be worked on there soon of course.

with 2)...

here this is a bit more simple cause, as we have a 4 lane highway which reduces down to 2 lanes here.

In this case a traffic solution should be more easily constructed than in 1)...

But than these will be my next 2 main highway projects to reduce traffic congestion ..

At first glance, relatively to both issues, it looks like the northern part of the highway is dimensioned too modestly, with simply a few MIS lanes. I think that this will require a solid expansion. Also, the link from the northern part of the highway with the CBD is underdimensioned. But of course, as we just discussed in chat, this was originally a test city, which wasn't meant to grow much.

The fun of playing a city is to see it grow. Once all growth has ceased, it becomes sort of ho-hum. For me at least.

For #2 could you just increase the number of lanes on the highway and instead of having it choke down keep it going and just using ramps to get on/off the highway? 

My suggestion for #2 would be to reduce the second ramp going north to one lane and let it branch off of the highway instead of splitting, if that makes sense :P

Thanks much your replies and advice !

I think I ended up using a combination of both Rocky and Josh ideas for # 2..

To handle the situation with # 1 I simply ran a new MIS route all the way into the CBD..

So let me show you all some pics of the new changes -

AwBnF3.jpg

1) I opted for a branch off MIS route from the northern most ramp

2) as Rocky suggested I maintained 4 lanes for the RHW, headed north where it eventually crosses a rhw-2 as a OWR-4. Nam 35 was helpful here in providing a RHW 8s - OWR-4 transition . Also I was unsure if the rhw -2 X oOWR-4 was supported by NAM. But i tested it and apparently it is !

3) Here is the extra MIS network which runs all the way into the main CBD.

So the effects in reducing traffic congestion I felt were fairly dramatic-

VhCKEh.jpg

.. and finally a further zoomed out shot shows now 7 MIS networks feeding into the CBD. But traffic congestion is now more manageable there..

7aq3fv.jpg

Clayton.

Ya, i think i can get that fixed up..

See one of the draw backs to this new draggable content that NAM has been creating in an increasing amount with every NAM release using there rules code is, sometimes when your dragging out networks and branch offs, stuff pops in there that you didnt necessary want or need. So in this case I was obviously working with some MIS networks, and than when i tried to split one there  , this unwanted RHW-4 tile pops in there. And even though everything is functional there, sure I think I can improve on the visuals in there..

Thanks for pointing this out to me, and let see what i can do with the appearance there..

Just another short update,

where because of Bryan's advice I was able to improve upon 3 of the former MIS elbow ( Turn) bends I had  to change them over to smooth curves in the larger collection of networks that carry traffic to and from the CBD ...

P96tV4.jpg

Looking good Brian, what is the capacity of that highway?
Also on the top side of the picture do the ramps go back into highways or into  roads directly to the CBD?

Great update Brian! I to wonder what capacity that thing sits at?

thanks for your comments guys !

On 12/31/2016 at 11:45 AM, 7499275 said:

Looking good Brian, what is the capacity of that highway?
Also on the top side of the picture do the ramps go back into highways or into  roads directly to the CBD?

The capacity of the rhw- 8 side of the highway = 25, 000 about..

Yes everything pretty much feeds into the CBD..

thanks for the questions Rocky !

This section of your project reminds me of Miami's Downtown Distributor road system. It's a very interesting setup.

Aldini,

thanks for your comment here !

I will continue to work some on the Isles ..

But i wanted to announce here that I will also soon be starting a new city . This city will be larger than the Isles and feature both some complicated highway systems + Mass transit. The feature of the mass transit of this city, will be the new RRW..

More on the new city a bit later... !

I have decided on a map tile for my new city..

I went again with one of the smaller land masses.

This map has more elevation changes also than any other city tile i have chosen for the Florida region.

But i still plan on trying to build my usual dense urbanized city..

The name of this new city will be = Ocean View

EK8Qci.jpg

Awesome! I look forward to seeing this thing grow huge! :P How many people will you try to fit on this small piece of land?

33 minutes ago, Ceafus 88 said:

Awesome! I look forward to seeing this thing grow huge! :P How many people will you try to fit on this small piece of land?

Thanks for your comments Clayton !

I was thinking i could still possibly get a half million or so on this land.. :o