Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpookyZalost

using SCART for better picture on older consoles.

2 posts in this topic

you may have come across a vid or two about this but I'm going to explain it in detail, I know many people really don't care all that much but there really is something to having a crystal clear, high quality picture when playing that old Super nintendo or sega genesis, and this trick works on most consoles in the second through fifth generations and usually doesn't require a mod.

so how do I get that crystal clear picture from my old console you ask? well it's easy, you just need what's called a SCART cable.

now SCART (originating from the french  Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs, and said Sah-cart), is a 21 pin connector that combines audio, video, and occasionally data connections between two connected devices, it's basically the analogue equivalent of HDMI, it separates the video color channels into RGB as one cable, it originated in europe in the 1970's but we never got one here for various reasons I won't go into.

it looks like this

320px-SCART_20050724_002.jpg

now most game consoles from the sega master system onwards to the N64 have a scart cable or the ability to use one in some form, this includes the PS1, the Genesis, the Super nintendo, and even a few ATARI systems.

most cables end up looking something like this

320x1643402772_orig.jpg?428

one end plugs into the cable the other into a SCART capable device.

such as this

BG-460.jpg

A SCART to HDMI scaler/converter, now what this does is get that crystal clear quality out of the signal the SCART cable is taking from your console, no rainbowing, no dithering, just clear picture at 720p! that's right 720p, the scaler does that without stretching and such.

and these consoles look amazing with it too, there are many varieties but there are a few that are recommended above the rest by many retro console users, I'll let the results speak for themselves though.

420x236imha27yloUrja.gif

SCART

420x294s1-ghz-point6img3full.png

and here to talk about it is one of the best retrogaming youtubers on youtube, Adam Kroralik

From Video description

There are three scart types that should be addressed in the description so that some players aren't disappointed.

1. A scart adaptor - this is not scart - It is simply AV cables in an RCA to scart connection adaptor.

2. A regular scart lead. This is the same as above but with an actual (7 pin) scart connection. Quality wise, it's still just an AV cable.

3. RGB Scart - this is the true high quality scart. Usually 21 pin.

This will work best with the following consoles:

Atari Jaguar 

Atari Jaguar CD

Nintendo Super Nintendo (Super Famicom) [original model only]

Sega Master System

Sega Genesis (Mega Drive)

Sega CD (Mega CD)

Sega 32X

Sega Saturn

Sony Playstation (1)

SNK Neo Geo AES

SNK Neo Geo CD

This will not work with anything older such as the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Nintendo Entertainment System, Colecovision, Famicom etcetera.

Some notable exceptions that do not work because of the limits of the console itself:

Nintendo 64

Super Nintendo Jr

3DO (any model, Panasonic, Goldstar etcetera)

NEC Turbografx 16

PC Engine

Sega Pico

This method is also not worth applying to consoles from the Dreamcast onward as they have more advanced methods of video display. Using this on these consoles will result in a loss of image quality. These consoles include:

Sega Dreamcast

Nintendo GameCube

Nintendo Wii (not including the Wii Mini)

Nintendo Wii U

Microsoft XBox

Microsoft XBox 360

Microsoft XBox One

Sony Playstation 2

Sony Playstation 3

Sony Playstation 4

anyway I hope you guys enjoy and Happy gaming!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0