pierreh

The United Cities of Talaran

108 posts in this topic

On 28.05.2017 at 2:38 PM, bben said:

thanks for your informative post on your cities population.. + .. you give what i assume to be the full region population total also ?

Well, actually not, because: the region is 'Sambey', and it includes a first cluster of 6 cities, in which I tried the concept of 'specialized cities', with one city having only commercial zoning, another only industrial zoning, and the 4 remaining cities only residential zoning. This went rather well for a while, but as the cities grew, the inter-cities traffic became rather unmanageable, highways, rail ines, subways got saturated. I abandoned that cluster after the total population of the 6 cities has reached 2'207'792 Sims.

The total population of the Sambey region is currently 9'037'800 Sims. When I subtract from that the population of the first cluster, I get, for the active one which I called 'Talaran' a population of 6'830'008 Sims - it grew by about 220'000 Sims since my previous post.

I do not exclude returning eventually to the first cluster, and 'normalize' its cities by adding to each the missing zones, so that each city would have the regular R, C and I zones, which should alleviate the intercity traffic issues. Sambey being a large region, many more cities, clustered or not, could be added. However I don't think that I will ever be able to compete with your large region that has reached more than 15 Mio Sims. Time will tell....

Actually my region now has 16 million now,  you must have missed my last update :)

But thanks for your explanations on your populations. of course its more than just how many sims you can get in a  region, that makes a nice region..

You have always had quality cities, Pierre..

and thanks for your update here my friend !

I hadn't missed your latest update, but I was quoting from memory and somehow I still had the figure of 15 in mind.

Meanwhile.... I have been neglecting the highways in my cluster, and I need now to turn my attention to some saturated stretches. The last time I upgraded a highway was many months ago, when I replaced a section of  RHW-6S by RHW-8S, including a 90 degrees curve that gave me a bit of work. The usage of some highways has increased measurably. For example, working on Marlande this morning I noted a lot of automata on a RHW-4S section. I got curious and did a query in the congestion view, which showed this:

PHWWPs.jpg

The congestion color is 'only' light red, but the numbers are quite high, especially the number for the bus usage. This seems to be 'transit traffic' - I haven't looked at it in great detail yet. The diagonal RHW-4S junction at the bottom right has a darker shade of red, indicating that the numbers should even be higher there.

The parclo junction will need to be replaced by a more powerful junction, using at least RHW-6S. Fortunately, the area next to the highways is undeveloped yet, I won't have to tear buildings down and I have some room to build. Separately I'll need to research why there is such a high number of bus users there, and try to move them to other means of transportation.

A milestone was just achieved in Talaran: Salveille is the first city with a population over 900'000 Sims:

kle6br.jpg

About in the center of the picture, the statue of Salveille's first mayor, Edouard-Auguste de la Beaujarvière, who laid the first visionary plans of that city.

Pierre,

thanks for your 2 postings !

it is just after 3 am here and i was having some trouble sleeping so i saw your new posts here..

17 hours ago, pierreh said:

This seems to be 'transit traffic' - I haven't looked at it in great detail yet.

I had one question here,,,

I was wondering if you could define what you mean by  'transit traffic' ?

Otherwise i found your first post interesting,because we each have our own standards for becoming concerned about traffic congestion on networks, I think it is pretty close between us. But maybe I worry about upgrading when I am maybe one shade of color more congested than your standards  :):)

Also congrats, on the city population milestone !

Posted (edited)

On 01.07.2017 at 9:10 AM, bben said:

I was wondering if you could define what you mean by  'transit traffic' ?

By 'transit traffic' I meant traffic that passes thru the city, coming from a neighbor city and going to another neighbor city; something like 'transit passengers' in airports (also called transfer passengers) who exit from a plane and board another plane without leaving the airport's passenger zone. I realize that 'transit' has also another meaning in English, which it doesn't have in French, that of a transportation system, like in the expression 'rapid transit', etc.

That 'pass-thru traffic' is caused by the structure of the cluster and the links I have defined between the cities, as shown in previous posts. It is causing me some worries, as it grows with the increases in population of the various cities.

Edited by pierreh
remove typo

Yes, i hope this will not lead to the eternal Commuter issue right ?

On 07.07.2017 at 11:50 PM, bben said:

Yes, i hope this will not lead to the eternal Commuter issue right ?

No it won't. I have arranged the links in the cluster, so that the Eternal Commuter issue cannot arise.  Those links see a lot of traffic, but it is 'genuine', Sims travel in one direction only during the morning commute, and in the opposite direction during the evening commute.