pierreh

The United Cities of Talaran

On 28.05.2017 at 2:38 PM, bben said:

thanks for your informative post on your cities population.. + .. you give what i assume to be the full region population total also ?

Well, actually not, because: the region is 'Sambey', and it includes a first cluster of 6 cities, in which I tried the concept of 'specialized cities', with one city having only commercial zoning, another only industrial zoning, and the 4 remaining cities only residential zoning. This went rather well for a while, but as the cities grew, the inter-cities traffic became rather unmanageable, highways, rail ines, subways got saturated. I abandoned that cluster after the total population of the 6 cities has reached 2'207'792 Sims.

The total population of the Sambey region is currently 9'037'800 Sims. When I subtract from that the population of the first cluster, I get, for the active one which I called 'Talaran' a population of 6'830'008 Sims - it grew by about 220'000 Sims since my previous post.

I do not exclude returning eventually to the first cluster, and 'normalize' its cities by adding to each the missing zones, so that each city would have the regular R, C and I zones, which should alleviate the intercity traffic issues. Sambey being a large region, many more cities, clustered or not, could be added. However I don't think that I will ever be able to compete with your large region that has reached more than 15 Mio Sims. Time will tell....

Actually my region now has 16 million now,  you must have missed my last update :)

But thanks for your explanations on your populations. of course its more than just how many sims you can get in a  region, that makes a nice region..

You have always had quality cities, Pierre..

and thanks for your update here my friend !

I hadn't missed your latest update, but I was quoting from memory and somehow I still had the figure of 15 in mind.

Meanwhile.... I have been neglecting the highways in my cluster, and I need now to turn my attention to some saturated stretches. The last time I upgraded a highway was many months ago, when I replaced a section of  RHW-6S by RHW-8S, including a 90 degrees curve that gave me a bit of work. The usage of some highways has increased measurably. For example, working on Marlande this morning I noted a lot of automata on a RHW-4S section. I got curious and did a query in the congestion view, which showed this:

PHWWPs.jpg

The congestion color is 'only' light red, but the numbers are quite high, especially the number for the bus usage. This seems to be 'transit traffic' - I haven't looked at it in great detail yet. The diagonal RHW-4S junction at the bottom right has a darker shade of red, indicating that the numbers should even be higher there.

The parclo junction will need to be replaced by a more powerful junction, using at least RHW-6S. Fortunately, the area next to the highways is undeveloped yet, I won't have to tear buildings down and I have some room to build. Separately I'll need to research why there is such a high number of bus users there, and try to move them to other means of transportation.

A milestone was just achieved in Talaran: Salveille is the first city with a population over 900'000 Sims:

kle6br.jpg

About in the center of the picture, the statue of Salveille's first mayor, Edouard-Auguste de la Beaujarvière, who laid the first visionary plans of that city.

Pierre,

thanks for your 2 postings !

it is just after 3 am here and i was having some trouble sleeping so i saw your new posts here..

17 hours ago, pierreh said:

This seems to be 'transit traffic' - I haven't looked at it in great detail yet.

I had one question here,,,

I was wondering if you could define what you mean by  'transit traffic' ?

Otherwise i found your first post interesting,because we each have our own standards for becoming concerned about traffic congestion on networks, I think it is pretty close between us. But maybe I worry about upgrading when I am maybe one shade of color more congested than your standards  :):)

Also congrats, on the city population milestone !

On 01.07.2017 at 9:10 AM, bben said:

I was wondering if you could define what you mean by  'transit traffic' ?

By 'transit traffic' I meant traffic that passes thru the city, coming from a neighbor city and going to another neighbor city; something like 'transit passengers' in airports (also called transfer passengers) who exit from a plane and board another plane without leaving the airport's passenger zone. I realize that 'transit' has also another meaning in English, which it doesn't have in French, that of a transportation system, like in the expression 'rapid transit', etc.

That 'pass-thru traffic' is caused by the structure of the cluster and the links I have defined between the cities, as shown in previous posts. It is causing me some worries, as it grows with the increases in population of the various cities.

Edited by pierreh
remove typo

On 07.07.2017 at 11:50 PM, bben said:

Yes, i hope this will not lead to the eternal Commuter issue right ?

No it won't. I have arranged the links in the cluster, so that the Eternal Commuter issue cannot arise.  Those links see a lot of traffic, but it is 'genuine', Sims travel in one direction only during the morning commute, and in the opposite direction during the evening commute.

Talaran lives! Even if activities are in 'low burner' mode, I still work on the cities on and off, even if there are not frequent updates of this CJ.

Milestone of the day: the first city in the cluster has reached a population 1 million Sims. It is again Salveille which achieves that milestone, making it the most successful city in the cluster:

8px0QY.jpg

The picture shows a part of the downtown CBD, intersected by one of the major highways. Some sections of that highway, like in other cities, have some serious congestion isues, which will eventually have to be dealt with. Stuff for later updates...

Wow, Congrats on achieving this Milestone Pierre.. It is a fairly rare feat in this game as you know..

Also this is a lovely interstate you have create that Bisects your lovely tall skyscrapers..

Nice to have to back updating your CJ again my friend

A second city in the cluster, Marlande, has reached the million Sims mark. And it has some serious congestion issues on the highway (currently a RHW-6S) linking it to Arcens, where I should be able to observe more or less a similar congestion:

oV8zE5.jpg

What complicates matters is that this heavy traffic is essentially passthrough, continuing to the link, on the western side, to Desognes, somewhat visible on the partial congestion box. Those congestion issues need to be adressed, lest they affect adversly the growth of the cities. But I already know that upgrading the highway to RHW-8S will not bring much relief.

Pierre,

thanks for your most recent update here to your CJ and first off a Big congrats on getting your second city in the cluster to a population of over 1 million ! :D

On the congestion issues, with the city connection links -

Yes this was one reason i play now more self contained cities, was I had tired of dealing with the congestion issues of these Neighbor connection networks.

But on the other hand I know you get still a lot of enjoyment from playing your city clusters..One thing that worked to some extent for me was to relocate the neighbor connection such that they were further away from residential zoning areas.. But no doubt you have considered this option already ?

5 cities in the cluster have now reached over 1 million Sims, with a 6th one not far behind. In decreasing order of size we now have:

Desognes   1'039'138

Cherenne   1'014'502

Marlande    1'010'771

Prandergal  1'008'699

Salveille      1'002'240

Trelayne        974'438

Deramey       769'063

Polsay           573'560

Arcens          494'824

Which gives a total population for the cluster of 7'887'232 Sims.

-------

Relatively to the location of neighbor connections in relation to residential zones: I didn't pay attention to that when I started the cities, and now I am seeing the effect of having neglected that aspect. It is too late to change the layouts. I am resorting to various stategies to cope with the heavy inter-city traffic.

Pierre, very impressive my friend :P,

that you now have 5 cities over the one million mark in a single region..

I think this is very close to the record number of cities that i have, with over a million in my region, but I will have to check this of course..

But what I do not have and you have now achieved is a beautiful balance of population and symmetry in your cities :D

9 hours ago, pierreh said:

Relatively to the location of neighbor connections in relation to residential zones: I didn't pay attention to that when I started the cities, and now I am seeing the effect of having neglected that aspect. It is too late to change the layouts. I am resorting to various strategies to cope with the heavy inter-city traffic.

Yes, ... you have to be very careful with this aspect as you have noted and I have also noted in previous postings on this topic.

But of course what is done is now done now.. And so this will continue to be instructive as you mentioned, in terms of what future strategies you employ to deal with these high traffic areas and issues..

thanks for your informative posting here !,,

Brian

The highway system in the Talaran cluster is due for a serious overhaul. It was laid when starting the cluster, and aside from a few very punctual upgrades, it has not evolved. Some sections of it are seriously saturated, as was already reported a few times in this CJ.

In particular, all highway junctions were built as partial clover junctions ("parclos"), because at the time this was the easiest method available. Meanwhile new techniques for highway construction have been made available, and it is time to put them to work in various situations.

The first such junction to be transformed and expanded is in the city of Marlande:

JZxUvJ.jpg

The bulk of the traffic (morning commute) is coming from the south and going to the west, using the parclo loop. This is, then, the main direction of traffic, that in the new setup will be turning directly to the left, on a 6S or 8S highway, while ramps will feed the other, less travelled links.

As preconditions this will require the upgrade of NAM to version 36 and an in-depth study of the available features in that release. This may take a while.

Pierre,

thanks for this excellent update !

I think I have a pretty good feel to your proposed solution to this congestion traffic area. . But i still look forward of course to your detailed construction in this area. Please take your time with the NAM 36 install and study of its content and I will be available in all the chat rooms for any help and questions you have :D

The Talaran Office of Highway Management mandated an engineering consortium to study the interchange situation in Marlande, illustrated above, and to present proposals. The conditions set were: the main flow (between south and west) must be carried by an 8-lanes highway, expanded to 10 lanes for exit ramps, at surface level. The north branch remains a 6-lanes highway. Other links may use above-surface fly-overs.

The first proposal of the engineers, presented as a proof of concept on an empty terrain, is shown here:

bvKJJM.jpg

It was pointed out that the failed link (in the red circle) is a glitch that would of course be corrected in due time.

The proposal was rejected on the following grounds: the total surface required for the interchange is too large and, in Marlande, would lead to too many buildings having to be removed; the MIS loop linking the north section to the south is too long, and there are too many unnecessary curves in the ramps on the east side. A more compact interchange is desirable. The engineers were told to return to their drawing boards (or, in fact, to their computer screens) and produce a better proposal.

The engineers worked overtime (and will get generously compensated for that) and returned promptly to the Highway management with a second proposal:

iRAuNq.jpg

This proposal was much better received, since it corrected all defects found in the first one: the interchange is more compact and the unnecessary curves have been eliminated. However, before making a final decision, Highway Management asked for the study of an interchange using two levels above ground. The engineers agreed to look into it.

Pierre,

I really loved your posting here !. In fact  think its one of my favorites you have done so far here at Simmania :)

I thought your first attempt at your interchange was quite good of course..But than when you posted the second one, yes I thought it was clearly an improvement , at least considering my own highway building style.. I used to build these T- RHW interchanges a lot, and this is really a nice looking one to be sure. it also clearly shows your use of the newest NAM related content.

The next step of course, it will be quite interesting to see how this effects the overall traffic situation in the area as compared to large amount of traffic congestion that you had prior here.. So I am hoping you will next show us some traffic comparison pics ?

During a third session between the engineers and the Highway management, the engineers explained that they could see no benefit in a two-levels solution. Actually the limiting factor, they said, is that it is not possible to construct a flyover above the 90 degrees curve of the 8-lanes highway. This creates a constraint, because flyover bridges can only be properly placed over the straight sections of the higway.

However, the engineers presented a third variant of the interchange, in which the various links between the branches have less curves and changes of direction:

saaHia.jpg

The highway management liked that variant a lot, and asked for detailed plans showing how many buildings would need to be removed to implement it, and a cost and time estimate.

Pierre,

thanks for your posting here..

I also Like this third variant of your RHW , T - interchange the most....

So this looks like the option you will be going with here :D

However, i will be still be quite interesting, when you get around to posting the final construction of this in actually development areas and traffic conditions//

There is still a lot here for you to demonstrate to us.. For instance the effectiveness of the new interchange in terms of reducing the original issues of traffic congestion that  you had..

The engineers presented to the Highway management an aerial view of the area in Marlande where the new interchange will be built, with some notes and explanations:

vNM293.jpg

1 - The dual OWR-2 with GLR tracks in the middle will need to be either entirely removed, or rerouted if at all possible. The GLR will be converted to a subway.

2 - Residential area to be torn down; residents will be relocated in other parts of the city. The GLR tracks will be removed.

3 and 4 - Commercial areas to be torn down.

5 - Road to be removed without replacement.

6. The area inside the existing parclo will be reaffected to commerce, to compensate for areas 3 and 4-

7. The bridges will need to be converted to support the widening of the highway to 8 lanes.

In addition the commercial area on the left of area 3, across the highway, will also need to be at least partially torn down.

As soon as the plans were made public, opposition to them started to be organized. A citizen committee was formed under the name "No to the new interchange" and started to gather signatures for a petition to City Hall. Protest marches have been announced. Sofar the Mayor has declined any comment.

Pierre,

this is quite the " expansive" project you have undertaken here.. And it is to my knowledge , one of the most involved highway upgrade projects you have ever under taken in this game..:D

You really did a nice job itemizing the main areas of your city in which you will have to make changes to , in order to implement / accomplish this upgrade..

I am really hoping you go forward with this new involved highway project, as you have already made it clear that it  is needed and is well worthwhile in order to control not only the present traffic needs in the area, but of course those traffic needs in terms of the future of this city..

The various opponents to the new interchange were able to present their views to the City Hall of Marlande, as well as to the Council of the United Cities of Talaran. Conciliatory talks were held; in the end it was possible to work out an agreement whereby compensations, in terrain and/or in cash, would be guaranteed to all people and businesses affected.

As soon as the agreement was reached, work was started and proceeded rapidely. Here is a picture of the current state of the construction, with the remaining 'hot spots' identified:

mwFpat.jpg

1 - Replacement of the current 2x3 lane bridges by 2x4 lanes, connection to the highway and widening of the highway on the other side of the bridges.

2 - Rerouting of the 2 one-way roadways to maintain the north-south link in that area; the new roadways will be placed close to the bridges.

3 - Removal, if possible, of the instability of the RHW-8S underneath the flyover

4- Because of the placement of the MIS ramp, the 45 degrees curves need to be moved, leading to the removal of more commercial buildings at the bottom of the picture.

The construction work is proceeding. During the reconstruction of the highway, traffic has been diverted on other surface roads, leading to massive traffic jams that are getting on many people's nerves.

wow, Pierre,

this is fantastic what you have been able to accomplish here already in such a short time span too. I am very impressed you have done all of this so quickly my friend.

But in addition to this, and I am not sure you have known this, .. but my favorite type of pics are what I refer to as " in progress constructions " pics.. Which is exactly what you have presented in this new update...

It looks like everything is proceeding well so far with the upgrade, but with the possible exception of -

3 - Removal, if possible, of the instability of the RHW-8S underneath the flyover

i know you will keep us posted on this 1 also  as you continue the great work that you have started here..

I do not anticipate any problems with the other 3 main areas you have listed to complete this undertaking.